PAC 12 left with 2 schools (WSU/OSU) Conference outlook is dire

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It’s not geographically any weirder than UCLA joining the B1G.
It’s just wild to me because ACC is a specific geographic location. Big Ten and Big 12 can kind of get away with it because it’s such a general name. At least UCLA joining the Big Ten meant only half their rivals were on the complete opposite side of the country. Everybody’s gonna be TIRED because Pac 12 fumbled the bag.

But on top of all that, those schools joining the ACC is an insult to my Atlantic coast brethren! East side stand up!

The ACC is not long for this world in my opinion. Several will be gobbled up by the SEC and then the others will try and hitch on to B10 or maybe even the B12. They thought they were being smart when they poison pilled their TV contract but now they are paralyzed while the SEC and B10 are lapping them.

Watching the SEC and Big 10 cannibalize the ACC will be interesting. Notre Dame’s days as a football independent may be numbered. Big 10 won’t take them unless they fully join, yet that makes the most sense for them. They already play Big 10 for hockey.

Clemson, NC State, UNC, Florida State all voted “no”.
The other 11 voted “yes”.

Because it makes no sense for them to share an already small pot of money compared to the SEC and B10. They only want to do if the ACC will allow them to rip of current contract and get larger one. That’s why the FSU trustee said its not a matter of if but how and when FSU is leaving the ACC

How is this affecting the scheduling of gymnastics meets?

The most immediate is the old pac 12 schools and the b10 schools that will now have to figure out probably a couple cross country trips East coast to West and vice/versa for the season.
Longer term, there could be much more significant impact especailly for the schools that are left out of the mega-conferences as that is where the TV $$ will be concentrated. Since gymnastics is a revenue losing sport for colleges it could become challenging for those schools.

Schedules will probably be harder to figure out at least for this year? So we should expect announcements to be later? I keep checking Utah’s website and there’s nothing for this season yet.

Conference moves arent coming till next season 2025. So you won’t see anything this year. Remember, this is all driven by football, so there is little to no thought given to the athletes and programs of non-revenue sports like gymnastics. They will schedule the schools that they need to schedule. Utah is moving to the B12, so they wont have the same challenges as the ex-Pac 12/B10 schools.

I highly doubt it, because it would require all the ACC schools to agree to give those schools (FSU, Clemson, UNC, NC state) a higher piece of the pie than the others. And adding Stanford and Cal maybe only marginally improves their chances of a conference in the long term. But who knows? Two more schools is two more schools which is important in media rights concerns.

Cal men were already cut.

The only reason they still exist as a team is through private donations and fundraising.

Cal women have built quite a program and have become national contenders. Would be quite a shame for it to be eliminated.

Cal does have the most debt of any program.

The Cal women were cut too (along with the men) in 2011.

But that was then - when the Cal team was pretty bad, the athletes were constantly complaining to the AD about the head coach, and they had a hard time recruiting.

Now is different - the women’s team is really good now. I don’t think they are nearly the target they were in the past.

I heard ESPN came to ACC and offered them another 70 mill on their contract if they added Cal and Stanford, so it is up to the presidents if they feel that additional money is enough to bring them on.

The latest this morning was SMU is now in the mix, with SMU offering to take no media rights revenue for seven years(!), and Cal and Stanford joining as partial members, reducing the media payout owed to each of them. ESPN would increase the money paid to the conference for each member added. Since the three potential members would receive no money or only partial money, that’s more to be distributed to the current 15 members.
ACC brass meeting this week as conference seriously considers adding Stanford, Cal, SMU: Sources - The Athletic (paywall)

By the end of this week hopefully we will know something.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back