Olympic 2024: Asian MAG won 7 gold, Asian WAG win 0 gold. Why?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Iminhanoi

Reaction score
Don’t know why Asian WAG not as strong as Asian MAG in Olympic.

In this year Olympic, Asian MAG totally dominated gymnastics competitions, won 7/8 golds (3 from Japan, 2 from China, 2 from Philippines).

While Asian WAG failed to win any gold medal this Olympic (the second time in just 3 last Olympics).

In last four Olympics (2012, 2016, 2020, 2024); Asian MAG have won 21 gold, while Asian WAG only won 2.

Last edited:
A few questions and comments:

1) Can you share why your post focuses on the results of a specific demographic? Are you concerned that bias may be rising? Do you disagree with some of results this summer? Or are you disappointed in them for some reason?

2) You describe a pattern of Asian MAG gold. Do you really feel that this is a continental or racial pattern? After all, 90% of those gold medals are due to strong programs in just two countries: China and Japan. Among the exceptions, two guys trained under those programs. (I do think perceive a vaulting tradition in South Korea, though.)

3) There's only 6 golds available, and Chinese gymnasts got silver on bars and beam. On another day, they might have won, right? Variability is a thing...

Because the male gymnasts of these countries are better than the female ones. The reverse can be said of the americas. The US, Canada, Mexico and Brazil all have stronger WAG programmes than MAG programmes.

It’s quite rare for countries to have similarly achieving WAG and MAG programmes. China did for a while, then WAG regressed. GB have to an extent. Romanian MAG is non existent compared to the success of WAG. In the early 00s it looked like they might be building something but never did.

The only country to do so consistently over a period of several Olympic cycles is Russia. Whether this has anything to do with the more unusual set up of having a larger overlap in management between the 2 disciplines, joint training centre etc, I don’t know. But I wonder what would happen if the US MAG trained alongside WAG and were managed in the same way.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back