Men's Program At USOPTC Shutting Down; EVO to privately fund much of team

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

And when more travel is required, it can get tougher.
This is very true. I really don’t know what to think about this whole thing in general. The funding is the biggest question in my mind though… anything is possible as long as there is enough money… but… is there enough money?

Is this whole things reminding anyone else of a somewhat similar attempt a decade-plus ago? That fell apart, and the whole thing just gave me a very weird vibe. I can’t remember what the name of it was (shed a tear for the loss of WWG, because we discussed it extensively there, iirc).
I think the Hamm twins were involved in something like this back in the day. I’ve also forgotten the name and details I’m afraid. Kensley mentioned it on GymCastic (might have been a Behind The Scenes episode) when this came up recently so I expect it’ll be discussed again when they are back from their break. I’ll dig out my IGs from the time to remind myself of the name at some point.

ETA
There was Team Gattaca and Team Chevron

“The petition supposedly comes from Team Gattaca, a corporate-sponsored organization that gives money to top gymnasts whose training is affecting their ability to work and earn a living. The difference between Gattaca and Team Chevron, a similar organization, is that Chevron’s corporate sponsors give their money to USA Gymnastics, who funnels it to athletes it deems deserving. Gattaca, on the other hand, handpicks its athletes and cuts out the middleman.”

Last edited:
Interesting. Do you know if she still there? The EVO website is worthless.

I heard she was really frustrated with parents and unrealistic expectations and dreams about turning their kids into Olympic champions, and that’s what lead her to leave. But maybe that was incorrect.
I thought she quit EVO years ago. Then she started selling MLM stuff. I don’t think she’s officially with any gym doing day-to-day coaching. Looking at her social media she started a consulting business and goes around the country to different gyms doing clinics. She went to Amsterdam to consult/coach there multiple times, then went to the Olympics with the Dutch team. She got a degree in business management. She passed the Brevet test in March.
I am worried about whether this will actually work.
Same, and if it doesn’t work they won’t have the USOTC to fall back on.
There was Team Gattaca and Team Chevron
There was the Team Hilton HHonors thing too for a while.

Last edited:
The sponsorship that fell apart (with all kinds of drama) was Gattaca, but the leadership in the current situation is very different — Steve Butcher and Kevin Mazeika are VERY experienced, successful leaders. The situations are Night vs. Day.

We actually agreed to host a Q&A with Manny Galarza at the previous incarnation of Gymnaverse, aka WWGym. Many people showed up for that talk. It was contentious. His ambition was enticing, and some big name gymnasts were had signed up, but I think there were just too many challenges.

Last edited:
The former president of the Men’s Technical Committee (equivalent of WTC), though he recently left the FIG altogether, apparently for this role. Also, he is an excellent coach, a great leader, and all-around great person (full disclosure he used to be my coach, we are occasionally still in touch).

Yes, Team Gattaca! That was it.

Passion, I too thought she left EVO quite some time ago, but a half-assed google search couldn’t really confirm that.

To back of @navyblue, that is the general consensus in the gymnastics community, too. There’s a reason he became MTC president – he got along with pretty much everyone and got stuff done.

Wasn’t Kevin Mazeika in charge of the Us Men’s program at one point? I thought some of the questionable choices in 2012 where his decisions.

I was working out at EVO in their now-defunct adult open gyms and I’ve heard a lot of about these big money investments. They got a floor from the Olympic training centre in May and I was told they cost like 80,000 dollars. And they were also looking at buying another one that was half a million.
Half a million for a floor?? How, why. 😱

Last edited:
There is no floor that is half a million just for the floor.

Here are the most expensive floors that I know of…

With todays economy… maybe it’s $400,000 for shipping??? The other option would be if they are ripping out the floor of the building and pouring new concrete so the floor is perfectly level and not “above ground”.

Wasn’t Boorman at the Olympics with the Netherlands women’s team as a coach?

The only thing I’ve seen about what she’s up to are her LinkedIn and photos on social media of clinics.

Is she doing public/motivational speaking? She could probably trot out her “I coached simone biles” story at 5k a pop to corporate offices all over america on a daily basis, if she wanted to.

Yep, throw in inspiring words about persistence and hard work and corporate would eat that up.

I have heard that Syque is moving to Florida as well, but have not seen any confirmation on it.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back