Layout fulls on beam — list of gymnasts?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Great idea for a thread. I knew she did riskier skills earlier in her career but I didn’t expect to see Gogean on this list either.

I’ll add Kui Yuanyuan but won’t share the routine everyone thinks of when her name is mentioned…

That was the one I thought of! My favourite routine of hers, and of Atlanta. I've always wondered if the judges would've given it to her over Miller, if she'd somehow made the final and managed to hit.

Dong Fangxiao
I adored her beam (and was a sucker for her Zorba floor) but this is more piked than I remembered.

There's no non-heartbreaking routine to pick. Her routine in the 1999 BB EF taught me what it was going to be like to be a fan of Chinese gymnastics (lovely leotard though, bring back purple China). I really wanted the early 00s to belong to her and Lobaznyuk.

That was the one I thought of! My favourite routine of hers, and of Atlanta. I've always wondered if the judges would've given it to her over Miller, if she'd somehow made the final and managed to hit.

Gotta love Mitch's commentary on it as well.

Interesting "what if?" there.

Wasn't the judging of the top routines really consistent among optional phases? Or am I remembering just a few cases like Miller's beam and Podkopayeva's 9.887s on floor and overgeneralizing?
(For those that don't know, during that team final, Miller get the same 9.862 she got in event finals but Kui Yuanyuan got 9.875. So KYY would have won!)

Last edited:
Wasn't the judging of the top routines really consistent among optional phases? Or am I remembering just a few cases like Miller's beam and Podkopayeva's 9.887s on floor and overgeneralizing?
(For those that don't know, during that team final, Miller get the same 9.862 she got in event finals but Kui Yuanyuan got 9.875. So KYY would have won!)
With the top routines yes, small range even with our 1996 hats on. Miller got 9.862 for all three of her beam sets, Podkopayeva 9.887 for both her hit floors, Khorkina 9.850 for both her hit bars. Amanar got 9.875 for three of her five DTYs.

But there are two factors I think are potentially relevant. One, Miller was a bit more tightly judged in the EF than the AA. The AA set had a big, visible break on the loso series whereas the AA didn't. The EF set was visibly the best she did in Atlanta.

Two, Kui's only beam routine was in the second session rather than the final session of optionals, so there's the question of whether the scoring was tighter for that reason. Because China managed to eff up so many of their marquee routines in optionals and make so few EFs, we don't have much data.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back