Joscelyn Roberson retires from elite

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Athletes can stay longer but the athletes fund it.

USAG aren’t paying. USOC permits USAG 2 replacement athletes, that they accommodate. Sometimes in a hotel, sometimes in USA House. I don’t know how long they get to stay there, but that USAG gives them tickets for prelims and TF only suggests that they don’t stay longer than that.
Thanks MC, I didn't realize the USOC recognized replacement athletes with $$.

Thanks MC, I didn't realize the USOC recognized replacement athletes with $$.
They do. That’s why USAG are told how many can travel, because USOC is footing the (extremely expensive) bill. They also get 1 coach each. It seems that Joscelyn got to pick a coach, since both her coaches were already the named coaches of athletes on the team.

And gymnastics is one of the few sports that has traveling alternates. Or any alternates, right? (other than the big team sports)

And gymnastics is one of the few sports that has traveling alternates. Or any alternates, right? (other than the big team sports)

I guess it's because there is a team competition so if - as happened to China MAG/Simone - someone goes down you can still contest the team final.

I guess it's because there is a team competition so if - as happened to China MAG/Simone - someone goes down you can still contest the team final.
You can’t bring in an alternate once prelims has begun. This will sound harsh, but that rule and the fact that USAG are always extremely reluctant to use them (they could have swapped Jade for Joscelyn) means that there really is no point in having them.

No, other sports have alternates. I came across this fascinating article a few weeks ago about what its like to be an Olympic alternate.

This one on being an olympic triathlon alternate:

Last edited:
You can’t bring in an alternate once prelims has begun. This will sound harsh, but that rule and the fact that USAG are always extremely reluctant to use them (they could have swapped Jade for Joscelyn) means that there really is no point in having them.

Su Weide went in to TQ though I think after a PT injury to another MAG from China? The Eurosport commentators were saying he'd had no chance to train on the podium (and had no ph routine either)

Su Weide went in to TQ though I think after a PT injury to another MAG from China? The Eurosport commentators were saying he'd had no chance to train on the podium (and had no ph routine either)
Yes, that’s fine. It happened before prelims began.
Participating in podium training doesn’t make you an Olympian. You have to actually compete, which is why Danusia did a cast to handstand on bars when she could barely walk. You need a recordable result to be entered onto the Olympic database

You can replace a team member with an alternate at the Olympics up to 24 hours before prelims starts. Sun Wei broke his ankle in podium training so they were able to replace him with Su Weide later that day. Su Weide didn’t get any podium training because he joined the team after podium training, but more that 24 hours before prelims.

No, other sports have alternates. I came across this fascinating article a few weeks ago about what its like to be an Olympic alternate.

This one on being an olympic triathlon alternate:
You were right, that Victory journal article was fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back