Influencers

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Nastia has had that dog for a long while. She got it when I used to follow her, and I stopped following her years ago.

Does anyone know if Nastia owns this dog?

Nastia definitely has a dog. She mentioned that when she is travelling, the dog goes to live with her parents. At first, Valeri was not keen on the dog but now he loves it.

I guess this time, Anna is stuck at home scooping poop on her own!
@MaryClare She was a very well-known public figure in the so-called “blogosphere” for a protracted period. Of course I wouldn’t expect everyone to have heard of her (she wasn’t A list Hollywood status, obviously), but this event was widely covered, including obituaries in the mainstream press and very large amounts of discussion in a variety of places.

I agree (and actually did note in my post) that reporting guidelines are for professionals, and not intended to govern informal discussion. But I think it’s relevant insofar as introducing Armstrong’s case into this thread suggests an implicit link between her story and influencer culture - where potentially, no such link may exist. Those familiar with the context and history of Armstrong and her blog will be aware, too, that the question of child exploitation is also relevant here. It’s a genuinely complicated issue - that’s all I’m pointing out. I only mentioned the media reporting guidelines to stress that this is an evidence-based stance (i.e. these are guidelines developed based on research into suicide) rather than a personal or moral judgment about what’s seemly or pleasant.
No one mentioned the circumstances of her death except you.
I really don’t see how media reporting guidelines are of any relevance whatsoever to anyone here. It seems a very odd and sinister thing to post in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on topic,
Who remembers Katie Donnelly and family? She was a fairly high level gymnast (L9 I think) who was homeschooled but then quit and went to regular high school. That family are still going, and it’s clear that their (now mostly adult) children really don’t want to still make videos

Back on topic,
Who remembers Katie Donnelly and family? She was a fairly high level gymnast (L9 I think) who was homeschooled but then quit and went to regular high school. That family are still going, and it’s clear that their (now mostly adult) children really don’t want to still make videos
Oh, yes! Part of the doomed Coral Girls. Katie actually had some decent technique. But after a while, I felt terribly sorry for those kids. It was one thing when it was just some meet footage, but everyone suddenly dived into the madness of content making.

Wow. I missed that. Changes my. Impression of her. Maybe. A little.
JaJa, notice Rich said the chess studying happened “when she was the team captain” 😂

(I missed it at first too, and was suitably impressed for a moment before I reread the post…)

Did anyone follow Nastia corresponding for Elle magazine in Paris? I’m curious what all she covered or if it was more about Fashion.

I didn't even know she was corresponding for Elle. Only reason I knew she was definitively in Paris was doing the coup de baton (and figured she'd follow her dad there).

I saw one or two things where she did an interview about the athletes, preparation, and mindset, and a bunch of fashion things, but I didn't actively seek it out

I’ve never bought anything from an influencer. I find it all cringy. But it’s not my life. I loved Nastia as a gymnast, but now not so much. I am jealous though of her super thin legs.

I’m glad I don’t have her legs. She doesn’t look healthy.

I can’t think of anything I’ve bought because of an influencer.

Well, his are entertaining. Ash is a gem too. Do Skinner and Johnson count as influencers or are they more mommybloggers? I guess they are similar things, I just assume the sponsors of influencers are different than the mommybloggers.

Dunn is obviously making a mint.
I just saw Shawn on the cover of that cheap women's magazine, Women's World... so she's living the dream. 😆

Women's World is still a thing?! I remember my mom buying that garbage, always convinced that whatever fad diet they were pushing this time would be the one that worked for her. "I lost 45 pounds on this easy diet......and you can, too!"

Last edited:
I have lingering body image things from my younger years, and even I find her legs too thin for any goals. I hope it's natural (I know that's probably naive, intentionally so).
I specifically don't follow some accounts because of the way the "thinspiration" movement encouraged my eating disorder in college and body image decades after, and more than once I've recoiled at a Nastia post - not realizing right offhand that it was her and thinking I'd accidentally stumbled into the kind of post that I actively avoid.

I specifically don't follow some accounts because of the way the "thinspiration" movement encouraged my eating disorder in college and body image decades after, and more than once I've recoiled at a Nastia post - not realizing right offhand that it was her and thinking I'd accidentally stumbled into the kind of post that I actively avoid.
Omg yes

I also find to have a healthy mind I need to limit some things that might trigger unhealthy thinking. Mine isn’t thinness but I relate.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back