Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (5/29/24 Withdrawn from Nationals)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Nice upgrade.

Why does her hurdle into the front full look like she's losing momentum?
I was writing a post about this and then I deleted it. But I looked at the running front full technique of Biles and Jones and Gadirova and compared it to Douglas, and she really stops her entire forward momentum to punch vertically for the front full, so I doubt this is very consistent if at all.

ETA: She is essentially going to muscle whatever comes out of that skill, a la Jones in the Worlds AA, and a full-in seems like the last thing I'd want to toss purely from a back handspring. But that said, I really love that she's just the second person after Biles to show more than a double back or layout 2 1/2 out a front full, right? Aside from Ellie Black's double pike?

Last edited:
I was writing a post about this and then I deleted it. But I looked at the running front full technique of Biles and Jones and Gadirova and compared it to Douglas, and she really stops her entire forward momentum to punch vertically for the front full, so I doubt this is very consistent if at all.

ETA: She is essentially going to muscle whatever comes out of that skill, a la Jones in the Worlds AA, and a full-in seems like the last thing I'd want to toss purely from a back handspring. But that said, I really love that she's just the second person after Biles to show more than a double back or layout 2 1/2 out a front full, right? Aside from Ellie Black's double pike?
Andrade does the front full into a full in as well

1712078318821.png

Gabby never sent in a petition video.

And then I bet we'll hear Gabby didn't know she could/was supposed to send a video petition or was told no petitions would be considered or something, because that's the logical follow up to unlock yet another level of debate and drama.

It all just gives me a headache.

Yeah, it's time to move on. At the end of the day, she still has the chance to compete this month at the American Classic, the same time that others will be at Pac Rims. We'll see if she's ready

Based on the video, I wonder if she has been trying to get to:

Front Full (C) + Full in (E) .2
Double Layout (F)
Double Back (D)
Memmel (D)
Double L (D) + Double Turn .1
Switch Ring (C) + Split 1 1/2 (D)

What we might end up seeing at American Classic/Classics:

Full In (E)
Front Full (C) + Double Back (D) .1
Double Pike (D)
Memmel (D)
Double L (D)+ Double Turn .1
Switch Ring (C) + Split 1 1/2 (D)

She's been on the athlete selection committee for several years now, as the athlete rep. I believe she replaced Terin Humphrey. For WAG, it is required that one member of the ASC be a former national team member.

How did Jessie DeZiel gain the right to select the gymnasts who will go to the Olympics?

She’s the athlete rep, they’re always on the committee. It was Chari Knight-Hunter on the first selection committee at 2000 Trials. Larissa Fontaine in 2004. Terin Humphrey picked the 2012 and 2016 teams. I can’t remember who was the athlete rep in 2008/2020 off the top of my head.

ETA: 2020 was also DeZiel. Kristie Phillips in 2008.

Last edited:
Basically just have to be willing to do the job and able to attend the selection events and committee meetings.

2000 was not Chari Knight-Hunter, it was Tracee Talavera.
She stopped immediately after 2000 because of disagreements with Bela.

2008 was Chari Knight-Hunter

2020 was Jessie DeZiel

She was on the national team for like 5 minutes?

How is the athlete rep chosen?
The athlete has to have competed elite within the past 10 years.
They must have competed at a Worlds, Olympics, or Pan American Games.

DeZiel competed at the 2015 Pan American Games.
She will no longer be eligible after this cycle to be athlete rep.

Jessie competed at the 2011 Pan Ams, not 2015.

ETA: I believe this is the most current version

1. Composition. The Committee consists of no more than three (3) voting members. The following chart shows the composition of the Committee.
CommitteeVoting or Non-voting
Athlete RepresentativeVoting (1)
High Performance LeadVoting (1)
Athlete Selection Committee RepresentativeVoting (1)

2. Quorum Procedures. A majority of the voting Committee members present (in person or virtual), shall constitute a quorum. Once a quorum is established, a majority vote of the present (in person or virtual) Committee members shall constitute action of the Committee. All actions of the Committee are subject to oversight of the Board.

3. Procedures.
• The High Performance Lead is appointed by the IEC annually.
• The Athlete Representative is appointed by the Athlete’s Council.
• The Athlete Selection Committee Representative is appointed by the IEC annually and must fulfill the following criteria:
i. Must have World Championship and/or Olympic experience as an athlete, coach, or judge.
ii. Not affiliated – not currently competing, judging, or coaching in the U.S. Elite Program during the appointed year.
iii. Must be available to attend all Selection Camps and Qualifying competitions as outlined in the Selection Procedures or as deemed necessary.

Alicia is the High Performance seat, DeZiel is athlete rep (seem to be out of compliance if the criteria for being rep is same as being on athlete council), and Tatiana Perskaia is the ASC rep. Tatiana currently has juniors in contention for teams, so when there is a conflict, Betty Okino fills that role.

Last edited:
Right!
2011, I totally mixed it up.
DeZiel was elected for 2021 cycle I believe, so she was within the 10 years of competition, since athletes serve 4 year cycles.

Unless there was no one that wanted the role so they extended DeZiel.
Not 100% sure how that works.

2000 was not Chari Knight-Hunter, it was Tracee Talavera.
She stopped immediately after 2000 because of disagreements with Bela.

2008 was Chari Knight-Hunter

2020 was Jessie DeZiel

"The women’s committee consists of Karolyi, longtime judge Marilyn Cross, 1984 Olympian Tracee Talavera and athlete representative Chari Knight-Hunter."

Talavera was also part of the selection committee, but Chari Knight-Hunter was there in the capacity of athlete rep. She is in the red shirt here, Talavera in black behind Bela's head.
Knight-Hunter and Talavera.png

"Bieger’s disappointment was painful to witness. She sat in a corner after her Saturday fall, staring at nothing. An hour after the team was named, Bieger’s mother and coach, Andrea, cried as selection committee member and former gymnast Kristie Phillips said, “If there’s anything I can do for you, just call. Please, just call.” Andrea Bieger didn’t say a word."

"Kristie Phillips, the 1987 U.S. national champion, was a senior national competitor at the age of 12 who more famously placed a shocking eighth at the 1988 Olympic trials yet was able to only be an alternate on the team. Now she is part of the U.S.A. team selection committee. She is also pregnant with twins who are due next month. Also on the selection committee is Steve Rybacki of Charter Oaks Gymnastics in Covina. Rybacki coached 2000 Olympian Jamie Dantzscher."

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back