Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (5/29/24 Withdrawn from Nationals)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I'm not sure who's was more surprising - Komova's or Mustafina's.
In a quad that was full of WTF moments, that was right up there.

Very excited about Gabby, I think the only thing standing in her way would be Valeri and his complete lack of interest in keeping athletes healthy.

Very excited about Gabby, I think the only thing standing in her way would be Valeri and his complete lack of interest in keeping athletes healthy.
I think this is where being an adult can help Gabby. Katelyn at 13 couldn't tell him to go pound sand, Gabby at 28(!) can. And should, as needed. Like Simone, a "nah, I'm not feeling it today, I'm just going to do x" shouldn't be met with a "you kids these days are all lazy and only want to play on your phones" or whatever.

I got my tickets to trials, you bet I'm hoping both Simone and Gabby will be competing there! (That would make it worth the stupid expensive hotel, I tell you what)

I think this is where being an adult can help Gabby. Katelyn at 13 couldn't tell him to go pound sand, Gabby at 28(!) can. And should, as needed. Like Simone, a "nah, I'm not feeling it today, I'm just going to do x" shouldn't be met with a "you kids these days are all lazy and only want to play on your phones" or whatever.

I got my tickets to trials, you bet I'm hoping both Simone and Gabby will be competing there! (That would make it worth the stupid expensive hotel, I tell you what)
Yes. The power dynamics are completely different. She’s not just an adult but she has already has so much success/experience behind her including an earlier comeback and she knows her body better than anyone. It would be shocking if she didn’t now have more authority and a say in how she trains.

Honestly, I’m pretty excited to see what her gymnastics looks like under a much better technical coaching setup (particularly BB/UB) than buckeye. For example, I can only assume that the reason she stopped doing one-armed pirouettes in 2015-16 is because the buckeye coaches couldn’t effectively coach those skills.

haven’t a lot of Valeri’s issues over the years stemmed from poor conditioning and not necessarily overtraining? I remember WOGA back being a real thing because the lack of core strength.

Combination of both. The lack of conditioning and core strength was (is?) a major issue. But the stories of excessive training are legion.

I can only assume that the reason she stopped doing one-armed pirouettes in 2015-16 is because the buckeye coaches couldn’t effectively coach those skills
Possibly. They are a very technical skill that not every elite coach would be able to teach. However, Gabby already could do them, so no one at Buckeye would really have to teach her it, just spot and critique. It is however the type of skill that not every gymnast retains the shoulder flexibility for as they get old, especially if they’ve had time away from training

I watched one of the interviews she did, and WOW, she sounds so... different. She sounds super mature, professional, and controlled. She also sounds very positive. And even... elegant?

I wonder if her beam and floor will reflect this change in her personna.

I don't think I have any specific thing in mind, because only she can say what she wants to express in her style, but I do think that, with her excellent execution tendencies as well as a possible fresh approach to her artistry, she could be the first one to really rock the E-scores.

As a kiddo in 2012, she maybe wasn't as fully in command of her artistry. In 2016, she had a style of her own, and I think I enjoyed it for her floor, but I am not sure it worked so great on beam.

Maybe I am curious if she will have a bit slower of a style now? Maybe I felt some of what she did was a little rushed back in 2016? I am not sure.

If Gabby's bars are anything like 2016, she will make a strong case for the team.
The team could use another strong bars score to go with Jones and potentially give Biles a break in team finals.
At least in 2015-2016, Gabby was viewed favorably by international judges for her execution on that event, I can see that occurring again.

Just goes to show how Gabby was made for gymnastics. Those pirouettes are gorgeous. I hope they translate into a routine.

Agreed. Although all elite gymnasts are obviously talented, I feel like Gabby's ability to retain/regain her strength and flexibility after long breaks sets her apart.

(also: hello!)

If Gabby's bars are anything like 2016, she will make a strong case for the team.
The team could use another strong bars score to go with Jones and potentially give Biles a break in team finals.
At least in 2015-2016, Gabby was viewed favorably by international judges for her execution on that event, I can see that occurring again.
There are a lot of idiots on Reddit opining that there is no way Gabby and Suni can both be on the team together, clearly forgetting that both Gabby and Kocian were both on the Rio team.

Gabby just needs a DTY, to stay on beam, and a serviceable floor to make this team provided her bars are at a level that she has hinted at with the clips. It makes her an infinitely more attractive option for the Utility AA spot that has been occupied by Skye and Leanne.

With many assumptions being made about current skill levels, the team is kind of screaming Simone, Shilese, Suni, and Gabby plus a 5th athlete to do VT/FX.

Jordan’s execution is better. I haven’t see any videos of her in a while though. Wasn’t she working on upgrades?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back