Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (5/29/24 Withdrawn from Nationals)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Not only competing at Winter Cup, but wants some international assignments. Winter Cup is selection for DTB and Baku. Jesolo, Pac Rims, and Pan Ams will be selected later, all of which align with Gabby's stated goal of competing internationally prior to Classics.

On Tuesday, she indicated she hopes to compete at "a few more assignments" prior to the summer's U.S. Classic, U.S. Championships and U.S. Olympic trials. The Winter Cup is the selection event for several international events happening in March.

Presumably. They can always add her to the national team. Just like they did with a whole slew of seniors following worlds/pan am selection camp.

They're going to have to add some juniors because 4 of the 6 juniors named at 2023 Nationals are now seniors. Ly Bui was added because she was sent to Combs La Ville at the end of 2023. (And fwiw, Ly is also now a senior)

giphy.gif

She is definitely more mature sounding and eloquent than the young Gabby. Maybe that is to be expected with age. After all, Aly did a 180 from run-on monotone to great public speaker and now commentator.

I'm happy for her that she genuinely seems happier this time around.

She did a piked Jaeger in the video. And her rings are looking better.

I'd go as far as to say she looks better than she did in her 2015 comeback! Her skills look lighter. I'm real excited for winter cup PT.

The Jaeger and front tuck on beam look fantastic. Too bad a dos santos is only an F - I bet she'd do a great one. The DLO doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade the way it was done in the video though.

I'd go as far as to say she looks better than she did in her 2015 comeback! Her skills look lighter. I'm real excited for winter cup PT.

The Jaeger and front tuck on beam look fantastic. Too bad a dos santos is only an F - I bet she'd do a great one. The DLO doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade the way it was done in the video though.
Well, we can't really call it an upgrade since we don't know how well her tumbling has progressed. Also, most elite gymnasts can do a double layout on a rod floor onto a mat like this, and it's often used as a drill (on tumble track too) rather than as an option for routines. I think she just showed it to demonstrate that she can indeed tumble again!

Quite a few gymnasts have added a double layout to their programme a few years into their senior careers
I'm not sure who's was more surprising - Komova's or Mustafina's.

Well, we can't really call it an upgrade since we don't know how well her tumbling has progressed. Also, most elite gymnasts can do a double layout on a rod floor onto a mat like this, and it's often used as a drill (on tumble track too) rather than as an option for routines. I think she just showed it to demonstrate that she can indeed tumble again!
True! I remember Nastia having a nice-looking one on tumble track in 06. The soviet's probably did that too I bet. That video of baby kochetkova(?) doing a training routine with three spotted DLOs still blows my mind.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back