Figure Skating Thread (Olympic Spoilers/Discussion starting at post #16)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If I were the Canadians, I would fight like hell to not just have ROC stripped of the point, but have points redistributed. That would push them to bronze.

They are saying it’s some kind of heart drug. So, something to increase stamina?

That would make the most sense.
But I wonder if the IOC is willing to go that far.

Someone on another site said diuretic which could be a masking agent but could also be a “if i am lighter, ill jump higher”. Either way, whoa. I was figuring one of the guys, not their newest GOAT.

(Other site being random chat forum with no obvious credentials or links to official data/people)

Last edited:
Meldonium round 2!

Re: the questions about the FS scoring system as it would apply to gym - I like that there is an avenue for rewarding excellence rather than just punishing flaws, that individual element scores are not only available but publicly communicated in near real time, and that there is no attempt to hide the fact that artistry is factored into the scoring.

I don’t like the weird way the numbers work out, and find the sport pretty boring except for the occasional flash of brilliance (as opposed to years ago, where it was pretty interesting and also had flashes of brilliance).

Crappy judge training and cheating are things that should be managed outside the scoring system, IMO. Weak systems for discipline and education will cause any scoring system to fail.

In non-drama FS news, it was so lovely to see Donovan Carillo (MEX) advance to the free skate round. This kid trained in a MALL figure skating rink. Mexico doesn’t even have Olympic sized ice to train on! He’s the first Mexican figure skater in 30 years:

yes. It helps people with angina get more oxygen so it helps you have endurance.

They should just have left meldonium on the permitted list. Let Russia scratch the doping itch, didn’t do much, everyone happy.

If they get away with this shit I’ll be so fucking mad
And you just KNOW the fig is writing to the isu like: y’all really need to think through what you’re going to do, this bitch is highly unstable, email-prone and between jobs!

There should probably be a flat limit for all Olympic sports (except biathlon because I think 22 (?) is too old for 99% of sports). I don’t think it’ll solve the issue of exploitation of teenage athletes because that can happen anywhere at anytime (there’s even been American football horror stories), but I think it’s weird that there were 13-year-old skateboarders in the summer Olympics and 14 is still the age limit for diving (despite Tom Daley’s stories) and swimming apparently doesn’t have one at all.

Last edited:
I really hope they don’t. It’s a horribly dangerous precedent to basically say to any federation unscrupulous enough that you can pump whatever you like into the kids, which is inevitably what you do if you don’t sanction at all. Poor girl.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back