Experienced seniors and Olympic debuts

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

RAFIKI

Defender
After reading some comments on the relative experience of potential US team members I started thinking about Chiles. She has every chance of being senior for the entire quad (well quint) and making the Olympics without making any world championship teams. Has anyone else (any nationality) done this?

The only person I could think of at stupid o’clock last night was Hatch in the Athens quad. She’s a bit of an outlier though because Cuba wouldn’t release her for Debrecan (02) and she made Anaheim (03) but got injured. There are other comeback Olympians like Chow and Dawes but I’m more interested in those who turned senior the first year of the quad. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Yep meant to add that to my lists of why she didn’t count. It’s a darn shame she didn’t get to compete in Atlanta. IIRC that was another federation thing.

Last edited:
She was a member of the Worlds team in both 1978 and 1979.
In 1978 she swapped after podium training to the alternate position. Classic Soviet tactics to not name the alternate until after podium training.
In 1979 she caught the flu while in Fort Worth and was switched to alternate again as she was unable to compete.

In 1977 there was no Worlds but she ripped her knee apart and caused her to miss Europeans.

So yeah she never competed at Worlds, but she was a 2 time World Team member.

OOPS replied to IratePanda instead of @tempest

Last edited:
That’s a lot of bad luck, probably doesn’t bother her after winning AA at the Olympics though!

I’m glad you replied to me, actually! I didn’t know that Davydova was an original member of two Worlds teams. Thanks for the info.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back