CKC is out at Georgia (Courtney Kupets-Carter)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I think starting them as co-head coaches is a terrible idea. In the other co-head coach situations, it’s either husband and wife or someone heading toward retirement setting up for a smooth transition. And therefore it’s still clear who the buck stops at and clear what the vision is.

And all the things besides rankings that have been declining at Georgia like home meet attendance and outreach- neither Landi nor Roberts have any experience in. Which of the two are leading those efforts?

Wow. WOW. Did not expect to log on and see that.

Is Laurant leaving WCC after the Olympics? Are they on the puts with each other?

Apparently their daughter is going to be a senior next year and then is headed to Auburn. Laurent’s going to stay in Houston next year with her and then head to Georgia after she graduates. I wonder if they will leave an assistant coaching gig open for him or if he wants to keep coaching club.

I sort of figured they would keep Roberts around in order to keep Lily Smith happy, but this Cecile thing is entirely out of left field.

I think starting them as co-head coaches is a terrible idea. In the other co-head coach situations, it’s either husband and wife or someone heading toward retirement setting up for a smooth transition. And therefore it’s still clear who the buck stops at and clear what the vision is.

And all the things besides rankings that have been declining at Georgia like home meet attendance and outreach- neither Landi nor Roberts have any experience in. Which of the two are leading those efforts?
I agree on the co-coaches set up.
There needs to be 1 clear leader and decision maker for everyone's sake.

Cecile.png

This is insanity for the US elite scene. WCC was becoming such a destination under the Landis and now who knows what will happen. I forgot that Esponda is also there now too lol, what a world.

Thinking about the total lack of junior elites from WCC.....wonder if the Landis have been planning on leaving for a while now.

(The general lack of junior elites, and homegrown elites, from WCC the entire time the Landis have been there could be a thread unto itself)

WCC is less than a decade old, yes? I wouldn't expect homegrown elites just yet, but at least a couple of prospectives in the pipeline.
In reality, there are very very few elites who are completely homegrown. Because the chances of someone with the talent and ambition to become an elite gymnast is unlikely to have started out at a gym that does elite.

No, WCC probably isn’t old enough to have an elite whose been there since mommy & me, but they don’t seem to have kids who they’ve taken from say L7 to elite

In reality, there are very very few elites who are completely homegrown. Because the chances of someone with the talent and ambition to become an elite gymnast is unlikely to have started out at a gym that does elite.

No, WCC probably isn’t old enough to have an elite whose been there since mommy & me, but they don’t seem to have kids who they’ve taken from say L7 to elite
Yes, it's the lack of elites that have been there since they were level 7s and 8s that seems unusual. Nearly all their elites transferred as elites. A couple moved there as level 10s. And they're almost always older. It just seems very unusual.

The internet is a fascinating place. According to some of the banter, Georgia is going to sign all the elites committed or otherwise, including Josc (which she quickly dispelled), Kara, and anyone currently at WCC. On top of that, they will be contending for a title next year spoiling OUs revenge tour. And Georgia is of course "back". There is no overt reason to believe that this will not be a good hire, but objectively there several questions/concerns:
  1. The most obvious, but probably most trivial, is no NCAA head coaching experience. Ryan has been around programs enough and Cecile wont be intimidated by the role, but the fact is neither has been a head coach in college, and being a head coach requires different responsibilities other than training athletes. So it is an unknown.
  2. The co-head coach dilemma. There are plenty of examples of functional co-head coaches, but from what I can tell they all have either been spouses or essentially "head coach in waiting" spots with a retiring head coach. I am sure Ryan and Cecile know each other, but haven't worked together, egos are involved and eventually there will be some conflicting decisions, how will that be handled?
  3. Does Elite training translate to college training? Cecile's track record on elites is one of the best, but how does she handle training in college? The number of hours and contact with athletes is strictly monitored and significantly reduced compared to elite. Can she modify her coaching style?
  4. Recruiting. Perhaps this is going to be primarily Ryan's responsibility, since he has proven to be pretty effective. Sure, she has a leg up on all the athletes she has personally worked with, but that is only a one-two year connection that she can mine. Recruiting is a different game, having a name is not all that is required. There is a tremendous amount of effort involved in contacting, traveling to, cajoling, catering, etc to these athletes. I know our club coach, who is amazing, just has no desire for that. Maybe Cecile will be the closer role while Ryan does most of the legwork.
This is an outside-the-box hire, but by no means a slam dunk hire. I believe the chances are that it will work out ultimately. I also believe that Georgia will be an all-around better team in the near term. Less head scratching performance moments, more consistency. We will see how long till and if championship caliber.

I can’t imagine how co-head coaching is easier for married couples than it is for unattached folks. I regularly assume that someone is actually in charge in these married co-head situations, and they’re co-head coaches so there isn’t the HR situation with one being the other’s boss.

Maybe Laurent ends up at Georgia Elite and we can have infinitely many conversations about recruiting ethics in the coming years.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back