British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Achampong won AA, UB 14.3 (5.9D), BB (13.6, 5.6D) and FX (12.8, 5.2D).
The fix is in for Ondine.

Her 8.4 E in UB finals is baffling to me. I had 7.7 and I thought I was being generous.

@2:58:55

I'm assuming she had a 5 for the late toe full, a 3 on the DMT and a 1 for low chest. Feet throughout. The Ezhova wasn't clean.

I'm sorry, but Rebeca barely gets 8.4s at Worlds. This is ridiculous.

I don't see how this got a 5.3 D? I have 4.8 (no credit for the tkatchev 1/2, so no ezhova so no fwd element)?
That’s interesting. After the EF a friend and I were discussing how they need back up plans for the front requirement if they miss the catch-Ezhova. It doesn’t matter in a GB UB EF, but it might end up mattering in a Paris TF.

That’s interesting. After the EF a friend and I were discussing how they need back up plans for the front requirement if they miss the catch-Ezhova. It doesn’t matter in a GB UB EF, but it might end up mattering in a Paris TF.
I can only guess that the judges erroneously added a 2.0 to the base value, forgetting that her Ezhova is the only forward grip element in her routine.

ETA: Absolute insanity that this could happen at Nationals. Two D Panel judges and an Apparatus Supervisor.

Last edited:
As per the nominative entry list for the competition, the MAG Euros team is Joe, Jake, Courtney, Harry and Max. James Hall has the individual spot.

I’m so out of things I didn’t realise this Euros had individual places until the nominative list was released.

Amazing couple of days for GMF after such a horrific British champs

VT 13.45 (4.6, 8.850)
UB 14.05 (5.8, 8.250)
BB 14.00 (5.6, 8.400)
FX 13.300 (5.2, 8.100)

The GB team in a perfect world imo:

Vault: Kinsella, Evans, Achampong (Fenton)
Uneven Bars: Fenton, Kinsella, Downie (Achampong)
Beam: Fenton, Kinsella, Achampong (Downie)
Floor: Achampong/Fenton, Evans, Kinsella (Fenton/Achampong)

Amazing couple of days for GMF after such a horrific British champs

VT 13.45 (4.6, 8.850)
UB 14.05 (5.8, 8.250)
BB 14.00 (5.6, 8.400)
FX 13.300 (5.2, 8.100)

The GB team in a perfect world imo:

Vault: Kinsella, Evans, Achampong (Fenton)
Uneven Bars: Fenton, Kinsella, Downie (Achampong)
Beam: Fenton, Kinsella, Achampong (Downie)
Floor: Achampong/Fenton, Evans, Kinsella (Fenton/Achampong)
This I don't get, why would you even put Downie up on beam as 4th when her scores the last million years don't reflect that! She rarely scores over 11.

Don't write Abi Martin off I think she will be included somewhere.

Ondine's improved bars mean GB could theoretically have Abi Martin for floor as the 5th member. It would be a decent arguable lineup.

But just seems a stretch to think the selectors would go for that, because it leaves bars and beam with no slack at all. Especially with GMF having done so well on floor today. All of a sudden there isn't the gulf between the top 3 on floor and the rest.

eta- @Bob do you see Abi being in Paris instead of Ruby Evans, or as well as?

Last edited:
This I don't get, why would you even put Downie up on beam as 4th when her scores the last million years don't reflect that! She rarely scores over 11.

Don't write Abi Martin off I think she will be included somewhere.
Ondine's improved bars mean GB could theoretically have Abi Martin for floor as the 5th member. It would be a decent arguable lineup.

But just seems a stretch to think the selectors would go for that, because it leaves bars and beam with no slack at all. Especially with GMF having done so well on floor today. All of a sudden there isn't the gulf between the top 3 on floor and the rest.

eta- @Bob do you see Abi being in Paris instead of Ruby Evans, or as well as?

Abi Martin's scores at selection events this year

English champs
Beam 12.1
Floor 13.35

Cottbus
Beam 12.1
Floor 12.966 13.0

British Champs
Beam 12.9 12.6
Floor 13.25 12.5

She's scoring the same on her best event as Achampong and Fenton are on their 3rd events (at best). I see no room for her in the team other than alternate. I think Fenton's two international 13.3s on FX this week (I know scoring was still quite loose) and qualifying first at British champs with 13.25 actually put her in the FX lineup right now, even though UB/BB are what get her on the team.

But I agree about Downie. Evans can take BB in that lineup.

I'd imagine GMF has now done enough for a Euros spot, so we should have more data before the team is picked. BG like their AAers, so it always seems someone like GMF is a rebuttable presumption. I think even as a multi eventer, she'd probably have been out of the running if she'd bombed again this weekend, but one hit competition has her fully in the mix.

She's not down for any April competitions is she?

Euros selection happened before Antalya (unless this schedule changed as per the note) so it will be very interesting to see the team.

IMG_5507.jpeg

Euros selection happened before Antalya (unless this schedule changed as per the note) so it will be very interesting to see the team.

View attachment 10182
Of course. I'd forgotten about that! So that's going to be iiiiiiiiinteresting. I still have a hunch GMF will go, though. While she had a terrible recent hit ratio before this weekend, she did get 13.25 on floor and 13.65 on beam domestically. It means she at least had an argument, if they wanted to take her.

Looking at the other competitions this month, GB have registered for one WAG in both Doha and Osijek. Downie and Evans respectively. So depending on how they want to play Euros, in theory there's room for another international for everyone who's still in the running.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back