The tradition continues for Paris 2024:

Best Leo: USA white

Worst Leo: Andrade vault EF

Best EF podium: UB

Worst EF podium: WAG FX

Biggest surprise: D’Amato beam gold

Biggest heartbreak: Max Whitlock not medalling

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Kaylia

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: guessing you mean LA. Nemour, D’Amato, Soares

Final thoughts: too early for that. Ask me when im sober

Best Leo: Rebeca's AA final leo. The yellow really works

Worst Leo: Romania's ode to Lidl

Best EF podium: Oooh, that's hard. It's a tie between WAF TFs and UB EFs

Worst EF podium: BB EFs. What a mess that competition was

Biggest surprise: Simone falling on beam and not winning gold in FX

Biggest heartbreak: France imploding in qualifications; Ana Barbosu thinking she had a medal

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Suni Lee. What a road she traveled

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Allum

Final thoughts: I love that almost all the WAG podiums had everybody happy with their standings. I'm SO happy for Kaylia Nemour and Rebeca Andrade. I love that we've seen countries not previously represented on the podium winning medals. And shoutout to the USA men's team for that bronze and Nedoroscik. I'm going to mind my WAG business and not comment on the makeup of the men's team again because I was wrong as hell.

Best Leo: Andrade’s turquoise and teal for BB/FX finals

Worst Leo: China’s yellow one

Best EF podium: PH with Stephen

Worst EF podium: I didn’t hate any. Everyone earned what they got or didn’t because they made mistakes.

Biggest surprise: Simone falling on BB

Biggest heartbreak: so many of my favorite male gymnasts having a rough go on HB qualifications

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Male Oka Female Nemour

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Male Frederick Richard and female Hezly

Final thoughts: I’m still processing.

Best Leo: Brazil and China both had beautiful leos for every phase of the competition. I can't choose just one.

Worst Leo: Derwael's gold Spanx leo from QF looked like a hideous paean to Belgian colonialism.

Best EF podium: UB, no contest.

Worst EF podium: BB. Y

Biggest surprise: Ana Maria Barbosu. She wasn't on my radar until last week, but she's really nice to watch. I also really enjoyed Julia Soares on beam and floor.

Biggest heartbreak: Rifda Irfanaluthfi fought so hard to earn her Olympic berth, but nagging injuries limited her to UB in QF. I hope she recovers enough to complete at Worlds in her hometown next year.

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Rebe!! Honorable mention to QQY for staying positive throughout the entire competition and showing consummate sportsmanship when Nemours bested her on UB

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to LA '28: Selfishly, perhaps, I want Rebe to continue, even if she stops doing AA. I'd also love to see QQY and Nemour in LA.

Final thoughts: I enjoyed the Olympics much more than I expected--and more than I've enjoyed any OG since 2008.

Best Leo: Brazilian prelim

Worst Leo: Alexa Moreno ruffled collar

Best EF podium: floor. The picture of Biles and Chiles bowing to Andrade is priceless

Worst EF podium: probably beam just because it was such a splatfest, but other than that, happy about who was up there, especially D’Amato winning gold after she was so close to medal in both AA and EF

Biggest surprise: Nemour’s DTY, but I also expected her to do better on BB

Biggest heartbreak: Ana Barbosu today 😢

Gymnast you’re most impressed with: Suni. I didn’t expect her to do AA until like after trials. I know she did AA at nationals too but I thought it’s just to prove she is able to step in if needed.

Gymnast you most hope to continue to… LA 2028: Kevric, Nemour and Barbosu. May they stay healthy and not driven out of the sport by the adults around them (goes for Barbosu mainly). Hope they will be the main stars in 2028 Olympics.

Final thoughts: best moment ever was Suni’s expression when she landed her first FX pass during AA. See my avatar. Thought that bowing podium today might beat that.

Best Leo: Simones AA

Worst Leo: Andrade vault EF

Best EF podium: UB

Worst EF podium: WAG FX tied with BB

Biggest surprise: D’Amato beam gold

Biggest heartbreak: Max Whitlock not medalling

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Kaylia

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: emour, D’Amato, Soares, biles, lee

Final thoughts: still thinking

Best Leo: USA quals (yes, I went there)

Worst Leo: Andrade Vault Final. The fit around the neck was an offense unto god. It looked like a sewing mistake.

Best EF podium: Uneven Bars and Pommel Horse

Worst EF podium: High Bar, WAG Floor.

Biggest surprise: So many. Nedoroscick going 3 for 3, Andrade not showing any upgrades, Biles falling on her flight series. High Bar Dismountgate.

Biggest heartbreak: MDJDS, Barbosu FX event final.

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Sunisa Lee. After all of her health issues to finish with 3 medals is so fantastic.

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to LA 2028: Simone Biles.

Final thoughts: A fantastic competition until the last day. I especially loved the MAG team, Vault, and PH finals, WAG AA, bars and vault finals.

Last edited:
Highlights:

• USA Men’s performance at Team Final: The energy, the excitement, the hits, the pure joy!
  • Yulo winning 2 EF golds for the Philippines
  • Stephen bronze on PH
  • The Brazil Leos, specifically the yellow, teal and burgundy ones.
  • The white American EF Leo and TQ Leo.
  • Excited Sidelines Brody
  • Everything about Stephen Nederoczik, Pommel Horse Man, and going viral in general
  • Paul Juda going 18 for 18 and having the absolute time of his life
  • USA Women bringing back gold with solid performances in TF
  • Simone and Jade killing it in Vault EF
  • Jordan’s excitement at winning floor bronze
  • Team Brazil on the TF podium!
  • Rebeca Andrade hitting so well in floor and vault EF’s
  • Flavia. I LOVED watching her at these games!

Lowlights:

• I keep rooting for team Canada to make a run for a meal somewhere, but nope.
  • MDJDS having a rough qualifications
  • Falls on beam in finals. A few are expected, but it was almost everyone.
  • US men falling short of qualifying for EFs, aside from Stephen
  • Brody faltering in TQ
  • Simone falling on beam EF’s. I know she wants that beam medal.

Best Leo: Simone's Vault Final

Worst Leo: Romainia's "Wonder Woman", Andrade's AA final (I hate yellow leotards)

Best EF podium: Vault Finals (the only one I predicted right)

Worst EF podium:
Floor Finals (Barbosu>Chiles)

Biggest surprise: France placing 11th/12th in qualifying and not making any finals after that, most of the floor choreography being good in floor finals (In LOVE with Barbosu's, Kishi's, and Soares's (even though she didnt make the final) floor routines!)

Biggest heartbreak
: Barbosu's Floor Final Routine, Nemour not placing on the podium in AA, Beam falls from Soares after a beautiful routine in qualifications, no new skills got named

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Stephan Nedoroscik, Paul Juda, Kaliya Nemour, Jade Carey, Ana Barbosu, Luisa Blanco, Julia Soares, Csenge Bacskay, Ellie Black, Ming Van Eijken, Sanne Wevers, Lieke Wevers,

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024:
See list above (I know half of these are highly unlikely)

Final thoughts: Overall, it was very stressful (me and the athletes included), but I enjoyed every second of the chaos! This was my first olympics I really had time to sit down and watch (or read the messages here because I do not have the motivation to wake up at 6 in the morning to watch everyone fall in beam finals). Excited for 2028!

Best Leo: GB TF/Andrade fxEF. Also like Romania TQ (the black one) and USPT. Not a huge fan of the USA pageant style/bling leos. Actually really liked the simple retro training leo that USA wore - hope they have it made as a competition leo.

Worst Leo: Romania Lidl leo from TF. Also the Chinese "urine sample" yellow leo. Honourable mentions to Moreno's ruff and Andrade's ill fit neckline on vtef.

Best EF podium: Vt ef. Everyone hit.

Worst EF podium: I am going to go with bb although d'Amato really deserved it. Such a splatfest.

Biggest surprise: Italy being the rock of TF and BBEF given their headcase reputation.

Biggest heartbreak: Becky Downie.

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Nemour really impressed that she held it together to hit EF with all the pressure and drama surrounding her.

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Would like to a few routines from Biles and Andrade in LA

Final thoughts: It's great to see that WAG gymnasts can have a longer career than being done by 18 (remember NBC Al proclaiming that Nastia was too old to make the US team in 2008 ...) All of the gold medallists in 2024, with the exception of Nemour, (and Hezly if you count her without competing TF) were 21 or older,

Best Leo: Baby Biles

Worst Leo: Mexico, in general, this was a bad year for leos. Everything was too busy. Swirls, crystals, necklines, fabric tattoos. It was like a Project Runway Rejects Reunion Show.

Best EF podium: Floor!

Worst EF podium: Beam

Biggest surprise: The joy of the U.S. men's and women's teams throughout

Biggest heartbreak: Team France meltdown

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Rebeca Andrade and Simone Biles

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to LA 2028: Melanie de Jesus dos Santos and Nedoroscik

Final thoughts: ✨ Joyous Redemption ✨

1000005779.png

Best Leo: Green Brasil

Worst Leo: no strong opinion

Best EF podium: Bars, edge given because the battles for gold and bronze were intense while vault was relatively unsurprising.

Worst EF podium: Beam, but I was pissed at high bar and its million falls and ties for first and third too.

Biggest surprise: Italy handily beating Brazil in both rounds of the team competition

Biggest heartbreak: France.

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: Alice D’Amato

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: Nemour. We need bars girls doing legit AA.

Final thoughts: I loved that every women’s event champion was a high finisher in the AA final, made two other EFs, and represented a different country.

Our lineup of silver medalists from this Olympics is freaking amazing to look at.

Simone didn’t tear her Achilles on live global television!

And, the athletes are putting great stuff out there and deserve better judging. So tired of it.

wAG only:

Best Leo: China, I think TF.

Worst Leo: Mexico frilly collar one.

Best EF podium: Bars, not even close.

Worst EF podium: FX, not because of the gymnasts who were awarded at the time but because of everything surrounding it.

Biggest surprise: GB ending up 4th in TF after losing a couple of their gymnasts leading up to Paris (And almost hitting every single BB set).

Biggest heartbreak: France not making a single final.

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: So many. Possibly Alice D’Amato. She was a rock.

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: I hope Andrade has at least one more Olympics left.

It's a good thing I waited for this!

Best Leo: andrade or barbosu fx ef

Worst Leo: Romania Lidl edition

Best EF podium: the yulo ones

Worst EF podium: Dear god, the choices... I'm going to have to go with the shitshow that was fx, purely because of procedure, I actually like the podium

Biggest surprise: the one and only shitshow

Biggest heartbreak: the one and only shitshow

Gymnast you’re most impressed by: I'm going to say d'amato, it must take some umph to go and perform under those circumstances on the freaking beam

Gymnast you most hope to see continue on to Paris 2024: andrade for sure, I'm hoping barbosu too, actually

Final thoughts: THANK GOD IT'S OVER

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back