2024 US Nationals pre-competition discussion

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

The cost of attending US competitions has been a hot topic the last few years. It's just absurdly expensive to attend even a single day once you factor in parking, ticket fees, etc. I spent nearly $400 just on tickets for me and my mom to attend 1 junior session and both senior women sessions in Tampa a couple years ago. That doesn't include parking, food, etc.

I thought about going to Trials because we could then do family vacation in the Minnesota northwoods, but the second I saw ticket prices, I said absolutely no way. The cheapest ticket would have cost me almost as much as what I paid for 3 plane tickets to California instead.

The cost of attending US competitions has been a hot topic the last few years. It's just absurdly expensive to attend even a single day once you factor in parking, ticket fees, etc. I spent nearly $400 just on tickets for me and my mom to attend 1 junior session and both senior women sessions in Tampa a couple years ago. That doesn't include parking, food, etc.

I thought about going to Trials because we could then do family vacation in the Minnesota northwoods, but the second I saw ticket prices, I said absolutely no way. The cheapest ticket would have cost me almost as much as what I paid for 3 plane tickets to California instead.
Presumably they are managing to fill arenas at these prices though? Surely it would be a better business strategy for USAG to hold events in large arenas as bigger capacity but lower ticket prices should yield higher profits. Perhaps they haven’t caught up with how popular the sport has become, or perhaps finically they are not out of the woods in the aftermath of LN and losing sponsors etc

For Trials, they fill the arena. Senior women they generally are full or at least fairly full. But for men and junior women? Sparsely attended, at best. Maybe they generate enough revenue just through senior women ticket sales to justify it.

A couple of years ago, the price for US Classic tickets was outrageous considering the number of gymnasts (and the quality.......) that competed. I'll be curious what attendance at Winter Cup looks like since they're doing cheaper all general admission bleacher seating.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back