2024 Olympic Games WAG Qualifiers

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

And the MAG spot has gone to Lais Najjar (Syria), so that's both universality places going to athletes born and raised in the US.

Reportedly, Lais Najjar was born in Syria and his FIG bio is incorrect.

Some people on Reddit are all up in arms that Chad wasn't awarded the WAG spot. I know they have made great strides recently, but.....

Some people on Reddit are all up in arms that Chad wasn't awarded the WAG spot. I know they have made great strides recently, but.....
No athlete from Chad made the criteria- had to have competed at 2023 worlds.

I do disagree with that criteria, as it creates a potential financial barrier, and gives an advantage to dual nationals from wealthy countries who are able to self fund their pursuit of the olympics, and attendance at other international competitions. Is there a more privileged position than a NCAA scholarship athlete?!

His university profile is more specific that he was born in Chicago.

Yeah, unfortunately I understand why they wouldn't pick Chad. I wonder if in hindsight Iceland went for the wrong spot, or if the commission weren't going to give them one anyway. They might not have realised Najjar was eligible for MAG because he wasn't at Worlds

I am hearing Iceland did not apply for the Triparte spot.

In WAG, only ISL and HAI were eligible based on 2023 Worlds.
In MAG, only ISL was eligible based on 2023 Worlds.

If Iceland did not apply, then by default only Lynnzee Brown was eligible, so she got it.
For the men, if Iceland did not apply, there were no other eligible candidates for the Triparte spot, so they went to Continentals.

No athlete from Chad made the criteria- had to have competed at 2023 worlds.

I do disagree with that criteria, as it creates a potential financial barrier, and gives an advantage to dual nationals from wealthy countries who are able to self fund their pursuit of the olympics, and attendance at other international competitions. Is there a more privileged position than a NCAA scholarship athlete?!
I think the problem for Chad is that none of their gymnasts met the (non-public) minimum all-around score which is rumoured to be 43. The Chadian federation mentioned that they were allowed to apply for the spot in anticipation of African Championships, so I don't think they would be denied the invitation because they didn't participate at worlds.

It’s really strange that the criteria isn’t published and we have to spend so much time speculating. While I really wish the spot had gone to Achta Derib, I’m very happy for Lynzee and glad it did not go to an Icelandic gymnast.

stolen from IG

Six-time Olympic medalist Max Whitlock leads the list of gymnasts named Thursday by British Gymnastics to the British men’s and women’s teams for the Paris Olympic Games that begin next month.

The men’s squad includes Whitlock, 2020 Olympian Joe Fraser, Harry Hepworth, 2020 Games reserve Jake Jarman and Luke Whitehouse. The reserves are James Hall and Courtney Tulloch.

The women’s squad includes 2008 and 2016 Games veteran Becky Downie, 2020 Games team bronze medalist Alice Kinsella, Ruby Evans, Georgia-Mae Fenton and Abigail Martin. Reserves are Ruby Stacey and Charlotte Booth

Full Teams;[12 women’s teams (up to 60 women) will qualify by NOC, including the top 3 based on the team final at the 2022 World Championships and an additional 9 from the qualification round at the 2023 World Championships.]
United States:
Great Britain: Rebecca Downie, Ruby Evans, Georgia-Mae Fenton, Alice Kinsella, Abigail Martin. Alternates: Ruby Stacey, Charlotte Booth
Canada: Ellie Black, Aurelie Tran, remaining team TBD
China: Luo Huan, Zhou Yaqin,Qiu Qiyuan,Ou Yushan, Zhang Yihan. Alternates: Du Siyu,Zhang Qingying, Huang Zhuofan
Brazil: Flavia Saraiva, Jade Barbosa, Julia Soares, Lorrane Oliveira,Rebeca Andrade. Alt: Andreza Lima & Carolyne Pedro
Italy:
Netherlands:
France:
Japan: Kishi Rina, Miyata Shoko, Nakamura Haruka, Okamura Mana, and Oshioku Kohane. Alternates: Sugihara Aiko, Hatakeda Chiaki.
Australia: Kate McDonald, Emma Nedov, Ruby Pass, Breanna Scott, Emily Whitehead
Romania: Lilia Cosman, Sabrina Voinea, Ana Barbosu, Andreea Preda, Ella Oprea
South Korea: Yeo Seo-jeong, Eom Do-hyun, Lee Da-yeong, Lee Yun-seo, Shin Sol-yi
~
Individuals: [A total of 22 individual athletes will qualify for the Olympics through the qualification round at the 2023 world championships, including 15 by name based on the all-around qualification rankings, 4 by name based on the apparatus qualification rankings, and 3 by NOC based on the team qualification rankings.]
Kaylia Nemour (Algeria)
Pauline Schäfer (Germany)
Alexa Moreno (Mexico)
Filipa Martins (Portugal)
Aleah Finnegan (Philippines)
Lili Czifra (Hungary)
Alba Petisco (Spain)
Anna Lashchevska (Ukraine)
Lena Bickel (Switzerland)
Hillary Heron (Panama)
Caitlin Rooskrantz (South Africa)
Sona Artamonova (Czechia)
Lihie Raz (Israel)
Lucija Hribar (Slovenia)
~
Apparatus Qualifiers:
Csenge Bacskay (Hungary)
Ana Perez (Spain)
Ahtziri Sandoval (Mexico)
Sarah Voss (Germany)
~
NOC INDIVIDUAL QUALIFIERS:
Germany Helen Kevric Alternates: Elisabeth Sietz and Karina Schonmaier
Mexico Natalia Escalera
Hungary (Athlete TBD)
~
2024 Continental: [5 individual athletes will qualify by name to the Olympics through the 2023-2024 continental championships series (highest-ranked eligible athletes, 1 per continent).]
Africa: Jana Mahmoud (Egypt)
Asia: Emma Malabuyo (Philippines)
America's: Luisa Blanco (Colombia)
Europe: Maellyse Brassart (Belgium)
Oceania: Isabella Brett (New Zealand) New Zealand is not letting Isabella complete at the Olympics.
~

Individuals | Apparatus World Cup Series: [8 individual athletes will qualify by name to the Olympics through the 2024 apparatus World Cup overall series rankings (highest-ranked eligible athletes, 2 per apparatus).]

Vault: 1--An Chang Ok (PRK)
Vault: 2--Valentina Georgieva (BUL)
Bars: 3--Georgia-Rose Brown(NZL)
Bars: 4--Levi Ruivivar (PHI)
Beam: 5--Nina Derwael (BEL)
Beam: 6--Ting Hua-tien (TPE)
Floor: 7--Charlize Mörz (AUT)
Floor: 8--Laura Casabuena (ESP)

~
Reserved: [A total of 1 individual athlete will qualify by name to the Olympics through the tripartite commission quota spot process.]
Host nation:Rifda Irfanaluthfi (Indonesia)*[*Reallocated from host country berth]
Tripartite invitation: Lynnzee Brown (Haiti)

Updated on 6/24/2024
Japan:https://olympics.com/en/news/nhk-trophy-2024-women-day-two-selection-results
Asian named: Emma Malabuyo (Philippines)
OGU named gymnast: Isabella Brett (New Zealand)
Tripartite invitation was named: Lynnzee Brown (Haiti)
Canada Team and Korea(South)
Great Britain Team
the mixed group was posted
China Team/Australian Team
Isabella Brett is not allowed to complete at the Olympics.6/20/24
Romanin Team 6/24/24
-
Subd1
Vt: GBR
UB: Mix Group7;Mix group 7:RSA,SUI,UKR,BUL
BB: Rou
Fx: Mix Group1;Mix Group 1:MEX,MEX,MEX,INA

Subd2
Vt: CHN
UB: Mix Group2;Mix Group 2:GER,GER,GER,ALG,ISR
BB: USA
FX: ITA

Subd3
Vt: Mix Group6;Mix group 6-POR,PRK,PAN,COL
UB: JPN
bb: Mix Group4;Mix group 4-PHI,PHI,PHI,NZL,NZL
Fx: NED

Subd4
Vt: CAN
UB: FRA
BB: KOR
FX: Mix Group3;Mix group 3:CZE,HAI, AUT,SLO

Subd5
Vt: BRA
Ub: Mix Group5;Mix group 5:HUN,HUN,HUN,TPE,EGY
BB: Mix Group8;Mix group 8:ESP,ESP,ESP,BEL,BEL
FX: AUS

Last edited:
No Korea was 16th in Stuttgart, Only Yeo Seojeong qualified as an individual vault finalist and Lee Yun-seo qualified as an individual All Arounder.

Thank you! This is exciting; South Korea gets a full team in Paris and two of its members are going to a second Olympics.

So no Paris for Isabella Brett...
1718915575933.png

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back