2022 Dutch Worlds Trials (injury discussion warning at post 26-41)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m sorry but we need to start capping the amount of turns you can count for DV. I’m all for gymnasts working their strengths but this is just a farce.
But there’s not a single wolf turn in sight! 😃 That quad turn + double turn is super.

I would remove the Triple Turn from the end of the routine and do more dancing, because that element is only adding .1 DV, while losing .1 execution and probably .1 from artistic impression.

Also have no idea why we aren’t taking advantage of the D-dismount bonus or the 1.5 twist + front full combo. Abuse the 2-pass routine properly!

I mean, it’s dreadful, but with no reward for sound composition, and haphazard penalties for poor composition, I don’t find it any worse than a FX routine with 3 progressions of a Double Back, for example.

For some reason, the WTC think a 4th toe-on/stalder/free-hip entries into very different skills, or 2nd Tkatchev-type element in different positions on UB merit 0 DV, yet add a 1/2 turn and you can count unlimited Tkatchevs, and you can do a Shaposhnikova, Maloney, Chow, Khorkina, Van Leeuwen, Chow 1/2, and Seitz all in the same routine…

The only good thing about the routine is the Toe-on 1/1 being performed after the Bail 1/2; the execution sucks, yes, but 1. it’s her only element D element performed facing that direction, and 2. the Chow + Bail + Toe-on 1/1 + Ray breaks up the monotonous rhythm of the interior of the routine.

Shaposh without turn + transition to low bar should receive no CV unless that transition is the 3rd flight skill in a row. Or unless it’s an element like the Strong, where you’re flying over the low bar with difficult twisting, or some kind of salto - like a Gienger that flies across the low bar! Or something very difficult between the bars, like a Counter-Kim that catches on the inside of the low bar.

Her new Instagram… she’s punching a front out of the triple.

Eythora Thorsdottir shared a post on Instagram: Very happy with this🙊✨️. Follow their account to see 702 posts.

Code:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjipR-9KqAp/?igshid=NDc0ODY0MjQ=
Edit to add, I’m not sure if the link is working. Maybe someone can help me out?

Last edited:
Seems as if there was an injury to Sanne Veerman on floor? Hopefully not serious. I see a video on YT with a trigger warning.

Eythora hit her triple punch front

A nightmare on beam though. Two falls and a bunch of missed connections.

Last edited:
Seems as if there was an injury to Sanne Veerman on floor? Hopefully not serious. I see a video on YT with a trigger warning.
One of those unfortunate freak accidents when you just lose all control of your rebound and the ankle snaps when you finally hit the ground. I’ve seen a woman do the same on a layout timer rebound. Her ankle took ages to heal because she had injured it before. :cry:

Last edited:
Was it a visible injury in the video? I don’t want to watch it.

As someone who has broken their ankle, I know I cannot watch this. There are directions ankles should not go. But I also know that a broken ankle if it also means avoiding ligament damage can actually be the easier recovery of the two. Still in for months of rehab after the cast comes off though.

A friend of mine fell rock climbing. Didn’t break her ankle, but instead tore all the ligaments and tendons and because now nothing was attached to her tibia or fibula, the bone went through the skin. She had an external fixator for six weeks and a lot of rehab after. Recently, years after the accident, she had to have surgery to clean up some of the scar tissue and loosen up the healed ligaments so her joint wouldn’t be so tight.

One of my teammates suffered a compound fracture of his forearm and I was the closest person to him when it happened. Absolutely traumatizing. I had nightmares about it for weeks.

Ranks right up there with looking into my husband’s empty eye socket on my list of “never ever want to fucking see again.”

Eye injuries are my worst nightmare but I’m also very curious as to how your husband lost an eye.

One of my teammates suffered a compound fracture of his forearm and I was the closest person to him when it happened. Absolutely traumatizing. I had nightmares about it for weeks.
Same! Was a huge reason why I quit gymnastics, actually! I still can’t bear to look at injuries involving limbs and I appreciate in recent years that people put trigger warnings in videos. Ten years ago, trigger warnings weren’t a thing and it was quite often that you’d be casually flipping through a newspaper and all of a sudden there would be a soccer player’s leg snapped in half staring right back at you!

Absolutely traumatizing to go through and it wouldn’t surprise me if there was a legitimate PTSD-type thing with it. Can haunt you for the rest of your life.

Put me in a cage with rats and snakes. Wouldn’t bother me one bit. But THAT. It’s a no from me. I don’t know how ambulance workers have the stomach for it.

Last edited:
He had a cornea transplant in summer 2019. Eyes heal very slowly and the stitches stay in for 2+ years. Spring 2021 one on the stitches got infected with strep and not only swiftly ate away the transplanted cornea but got into his retina and other eye structures. It not only destroyed his eye, but because the optic nerve is a direct route to the brain, removal was the only option.

For those of use without stitches on our eyes, strep gets on the surface our eyes all the time but nothing happens. But if it can get into the eye, its almost certain that you’ll lose it. Nasty stuff, and moves terrifyingly fast.

Last edited:
OkAYYYYYYYY this thread officially needs a content warning! 😆

Ouch. Similar happened to my friend at school except with his arm! He had this massive scar with pins in where the bone had come through and it felt really unusual to the touch. I can still recall the exact sensation 20 years later.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back