Will we see a 10 from Biles on vault? Here's the last recorded 10.0

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Denn

Staff member
Defender
Reaction score
It was a shock that day that the judges broke their pattern and threw a 10, but back then, this totally merited that score, I think.

Gosh that’s one of my very favorite routines Denn. Obvs. I have no idea about judging but I can’t imagine Simone not getting a 10 if she sticks the YDP.

Honestly, if she opens up a bit before landing and sticks it, it should get a 10 in my opinion.

The US judges gave this non-stuck vault (ignore the title) a 9.9. The landing had an adjustment so that does mean they might have gone 10.0 without the shuffle. (The additional 0.5 was the neutral deduction against Laurent.)

She makes it look easy in that video but it’s so hard. That shuffle is actually a tiny rebound, isn’t it?

But she DOES point her feet in the air.

My personal belief: for a tuck or pike position, I feel like she does enough pointing of the feet. Especially for a double tuck or pike.

The whole benefit of pointing your feet is to extend the line — perfect for split positions, hangs, layout positions.

But for a pike position, it's more about removing a visible segmentation of the body. And pointing a little accomplishes that enough in my opinion.

I just feel like gymnastics should not be about this kind of picayune thing, especially when it's contributing to the aesthetic only in a very minor way.

Well, whether they should or not is a separate question!

But it's possible to discern flexed feet for some of the postflight, and historically we know those deductions are taken in situations where there's not much/anything else. So I think it'd be the 0.1.

If the judges gave that a 9.9, there might be a riot. LOL

I've noted before, she tends to have a slight flexion in her knees and feet, likely leaving her at a 9.8 with a stick. It seems too low, but following the rules as written (which to be fair, if they're written that way I think we should), if she does the vault per her usual and not just that tiny bit more I think a stick would be a 9.8. But heavens I'd love to see a 10.

In the old code it would've been a 10 probably if only for "superior to every vault previously done." But relative judging is less of a thing with the open ended code.

Looking at general trends, am I right in thinking the last 9.9 in major competition was Dragulescu in the 04 vault final? Then for 9.8s, it's him again in Beijing and also Nastia on beam at 08 Pac Rims?

def not a 10 she has slightly bent knees and flexed feet and a landing adjustment.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back