Shilese Going For 2028!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I've been thinking about Shi a lit on the past days and wondering how she's holding up with everything. Nice to hear from her and get confirmation that she wants to continue, hopefully after a good break to let everything heal up.

I hope she takes plenty of time off to heal her shoulder and knee, then comes back with a vengeance

The choice to compete was always down to Shi and Sarah. Alicia stated in Gymcastic interview that she left the choice to compete on day 2 to both of them rather than say you can't.
Not sure how I feel about that. On one hand I like that Alicia is leaving the decision up to the athete, who is an adult and her coach. On the other hand, Alicia could have been realistic about the chances of her making the team injured like that.

2025 Worlds are going to be crap anyway, 3 member team with only 2 gymnasts allowed to be entered on each event.

Take the entire year off and come back in 2026 for a proper Worlds.

I wonder what Kayla will do if she decides to go for another run. Kelli Hill is retiring; she was only sticking around to coach Kayla through this year.

Alicia stated in Gymcastic interview that she left the choice to compete on day 2 to both of them rather than say you can't.
Not sure how I feel about that. On one hand I like that Alicia is leaving the decision up to the athete, who is an adult and her coach. On the other hand, Alicia could have been realistic about the chances of her making the team injured like that.

I very much interpreted that interview as a clear indication that Sacramone strongly implied that Shilese wasn't going to be considered doing just bars on day 2, and therefore did as much as possible to spare her from competing (shy of inventing a new selection procedure, which they seemed quite circumspect in avoiding).

While we're on that topic... if I were in charge, I'd have made the ~controversial~ choice of bringing Shilese as a one-event gymnast had she competed and scored similarly on bars on day 2. The justification? 1) She's on the highest scoring team, adding 5-6 tenths over Chiles and 2) Her injury isn't really any my business if she's able to get the score on bars. Jordan can push her wheelchair over to for all I care. ;)

Anyway the mental fortitude is incredible and I would be so on board to root hard for her 2028 dream. That might be something I need to see in person too.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back