REWIND : Week Three 07/10 : 2010 Pacific Rims

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

MaryClare

Defender
Reaction score

On paper, the pacific rim should be the most prestigious competition outside of worlds and Olympics.
In reality, only the USA takes it seriously. Meaning that it has often been an early international assignment for future stars (most renewals have allowed a team of seniors and juniors). Often it can be the only major intl assignment for those who don’t go on to have a successful senior career.

In 2010, they send arguably the highest calibre team ever. Sloan and Wieber are world AA champions whilst Bross, Ross and Raisman are all AA medalists at world or Olympic level

On paper, the pacific rim should be the most prestigious competition outside of worlds and Olympics.
Why do you think this should've reached such prestige, even above Euros? Is it mainly because it's a multi-continental competition that includes the top teams?

Why do you think this should've reached such prestige, even above Euros? Is it mainly because it's a multi-continental competition that includes the top teams?
Because of the eligible countries. USA, Russia, China, Japan, Canada, Australia. If everyone sent their top team, it would be a fantastic competition. Especially with the ability to select juniors.

Ouch, I don't know if I can stand to watch this one. China had a great team on paper, but they did, well, China things. Kinda funny, though. Back then, I thought Tan Sixin, Huang Qiushuang, and Zeng Siqi were unforgivable headcases. After the recent trauma of the Paris team final, I've been forced to redefine both unforgivable and headcase.

Because of the eligible countries. USA, Russia, China, Japan, Canada, Australia. If everyone sent their top team, it would be a fantastic competition. Especially with the ability to select juniors.
It's the same thing with the Four Continents in figure skating. It should be huge, but it's a consolation prize assignment for most nations.

Ouch, I don't know if I can stand to watch this one. China had a great team on paper, but they did, well, China things. Kinda funny, though. Back then, I thought Tan Sixin, Huang Qiushuang, and Zeng Siqi were unforgivable headcases. After the recent trauma of the Paris team final, I've been forced to redefine both unforgivable and headcase.
Does China use sports psychologists?

I had no memory of this competition even though I'm sure I watched it at the time. You are spared my personal nostalgia thoughts this week!

Arena
  • The acromat bars with the high pole between bars gives me such Sydney vibes.
  • The crowd didn't seem particularly enthused. Shame to see empty seats as well.
  • Nice to see some advertising hoardings for the CWG.
Commentary/coverage
  • "the ripe old age of 17" said tongue in cheek but still a striking reminder of a time when 17 could be the oldest gymnast on a team (albeit of only three seniors).
  • They really liked the concept of "defeat" during this commentary (Sloan defeated Bross, CHN defeated USA).
  • "gymnastics is a reputation sport", I wonder if Tim still thinks this? I found the discussion about strategy of different teams interesting, it's a shame they sounded so disparaging about the idea of China sending gymnasts for experience rather than domination.
  • The font and resolution made the graphics feel so much older than 2010.
  • "I could care less" does my head in.
  • Loved the shot of Zamo and Slater judging.
  • I did lol at the comment about Bross being overwhelmed. Also "the men were here as well" matches the attitude of many fans :LOL:
  • The Vegemite thing was so awkward.
Gymnasts
  • Love this CHN leotard. The AUS one feels like the quintessential Aussie leotard, they used this for yonks.
  • The perfunctionary hugs given to Weiber after VT amused me.
  • I do love a Markelov, props to Rogers.
  • The squeaky voices of young American gymnasts (Vega the most here) continue to surprise me. Something about the combination of accent and the pitch sounds so artificial generated to my ears.
  • Weiber's Weiler was very smooth. Interesting to see her do a different floor routine than the one she's known for, shame it was a bit meh. They really found great music and choreography that worked for her 2011-2 routine.
  • Sloan's pak stood out.
  • Tan Sixin has that special float at the top of her leaps/jumps.
  • I'll never figure out how to do a full spin like Vega does.
  • Enjoyed Bross's style on beam, refreshing to see a different type of movement and shapes.
  • I started to count the head back flics for Ross on FX but it was much more of a sideways head movement themed routine ;)
  • Hooray for McGrath's BB mount 😍 but blimey it's been a while since I saw someone go overtime by that much.
Gymnastics
  • Cripes the forced marching of the AUS team is painful to watch.
  • Is this an early example of Chinese coaches verbally coaching on UB? I couldn't tell if it was coming from yellow T-shirt dude.
  • Ooof the lack of dance in CHN BB routines, Jiang Tong's routine was particularly bad.
  • Boo to the era of aerial cartwheels on FX to fulfill a requirement.
  • What an insane margin of victory...15.5!

Ah, Jiang Tong. There's a name I've not heard in a while.
Forgettable then, forgettable now.

I really liked Wu Liufang back then, and I still enjoy her gymnastics now. Conversely, my antipathy toward Huang Qiushuang has not diminished over time. I think it's because she expected to hit but didn't GAAF when she didn't.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back