Mixed Cup Medal at the 2028 Olympics?

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Passion

Did we already know about this..? If this was common knowledge it somehow completely dropped out of my brain. This is the article using google translate so maybe there's a mistake with the translation. I'm not finding anything else when googling mixed cup medal at the Olympics for gymnastics but perhaps the event has a different title. Other possibilities are the president of the German federation wasn't meant to be announcing this yet, or maybe the decision hasn't been made, it's just been discussed, and this is a mistranslation/misquotation of what he said.

EnBW DTB Cup: Mixed Cup will be a model for the 2028 Olympics​

March 17, 2024
On the final day of the 39th EnBW DTB Cup in Stuttgart, the organizers of the Swabian Gymnastics Federation (STB) drew a positive conclusion. Almost 20,000 spectators watched the top international gymnasts over the three days.
The highlight was the mixed-gender Mixed Cup, newly created in 2022, which is considered a model for an Olympic mixed medal decision from 2028.
"We are satisfied. We were again able to welcome almost 20,000 spectators over the three days of the event. We would have liked a little more, but what is pleasing is that, above all, the gymnasts and the mixed-gender Mixed Cup hit a nerve with the fans. The Mixed Cup was sold out for the first time this year,” said Markus Frank , President of the organizing Swabian Gymnastics Association
Frank continued: "All in all, these are perfect conditions for the next Olympic cycle. We are currently in good discussions with our main sponsor EnBW about extending the cooperation and would start next year with an anniversary: the 40th will be in 2025 . EnBW DTB Cup on the program."

Also at the Olympic Games from 2028​

Dr. Alfons Hölzl , President of the German Gymnastics Federation, was also very impressed by the gymnastics highlight in Stuttgart: "Stuttgart traditionally stands for innovation. It is very pleasing that the Mixed Cup, which was launched here in 2022, is now is so well received by the fans and is considered a pioneer. There will be a mixed medal in gymnastics from the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles. We are already excited to see what development this topic will have in the coming years - including in Stuttgart becomes."
From a sporting perspective, the conclusion was also positive. "The EnBW DTB Cup was the hoped-for important benchmark at the beginning of the Olympic season for the seniors and an important competition for the juniors on the way to the Junior European Championships in April as a highlight of the season. Our gymnasts gained valuable experience and knowledge here at home in front of a great backdrop. Some took advantage of the opportunity and proved themselves against strong international competition," said Thomas Gutekunst, sports director of the German Gymnastics Federation.

The 40th EnBW DTB Cup will take place from March 28th to 30th, 2025.

Last edited:
But I thought the IOC wasn’t going to allocate any more medals to gymnastics? Or are male and female team final being replaced by 1 event?

Last edited:
A good development. They could add a mixed trampoline team event. I hope they add a new medal event instead of replacing an existing one.

I heard a public radio story about the 2028 committee supporting gender equality in venues. It's a reason why RG's getting the same venue as the other disciplines. Perhaps the mixed event proposal is a continuation of a gender equality initiative.

But I thought the IOC wasn’t going to allocate any more medals to gymnastics? Or are make and female team final being replaced by 1 event?

They might allow another medal event. They have for mixed events in other sports. What they won't allow is any more athletes. So either there would have to be significant cuts to the number of gymnasts from non-team countries, or gymnasts would have to do the mixed event on top of everything else, which would likely get pushback on the WAG side.

Needing the venue for an extra day would be a problem as well, but they could cut event finals down to two days to solve that.

It could be similar to the team event in figure skating, only teams that are eligible would be teams that have enough qualified athletes.

They might allow another medal event. They have for mixed events in other sports. What they won't allow is any more athletes. So either there would have to be significant cuts to the number of gymnasts from non-team countries, or gymnasts would have to do the mixed event on top of everything else, which would likely get pushback on the WAG side.

Needing the venue for an extra day would be a problem as well, but they could cut event finals down to two days to solve that.
Not sure about the pushback, depending on how it is organized. Like the figure skating event, it might be the only chance some gymnasts have at a medal. Maybe your Simone/top gymnast is exhausted and happy with her medal haul but your Grace McCallum/support gymnast might want another shot at glory.

It would be hard on some nations that have a strong WAG but weak MAG (or vice versa) because they could otherwise have a shot. Too bad they can't team up like pairs in tennis (aside from the olympics). A team of Turkiye's men and Mexico's women, as an example, could be right in the mix.

If I was queen of this decision, I would make the mixed-medal competition be bars, floor and vault only, with a team of 1 rhythmic routine, 3 artistic men gymnasts and 3 artistic women. Could bring some of the lesser-winning programs into the podium, potentially.

If I was queen of this decision, I would make the mixed-medal competition be bars, floor and vault only, with a team of 1 rhythmic routine, 3 artistic men gymnasts and 3 artistic women. Could bring some of the lesser-winning programs into the podium, potentially.
There is only one programme that is strong across wag, mag and rg

Junior Olympics already has a mixed team cup.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymna..._Youth_Olympics_–_Mixed_multi-discipline_team
1711650070171.png

Also, if a mixed team cup does happen, I hope it is not by cumulative scores, but rather, each placement in each event scores certain points. Like the skating mixed event and trampoline and tumbling ,ixed team event.

I think rhythmic should be part of it to balance out the fact that MAG has 6 apparatus. I think competition should be 1 gymnast per apparatus, with 2 apparatus for rhythmic + trampoline. And I like this idea of a synchro exercise on floor — it could be one of the routines in the final for MAG and one for WAG. That makes a total of 15 exercises, which is a very respectable team total.
Why no beam?

Why no beam?
For setup purposes. Both WAg and MAG compete vault and floor, and both also do a variation of bars. I’d just keep it to the events that are similar between MAG and WAG, otherwise the competition would take forever. Just my two cents.

For setup purposes. Both WAg and MAG compete vault and floor, and both also do a variation of bars. I’d just keep it to the events that are similar between MAG and WAG, otherwise the competition would take forever. Just my two cents.
It doesn't have to take forever, especially if it is limited teams.

The meet could be set up that there is a prelim round and a semi-final round with teams eliminated after each round.

My guess for the format if it's based on DTB Cup, assuming it'd just be MAG and WAG:

8 teams (because I can't see the IOC being happy with handing out medals for an event with only 4 teams)
Teams made up of 3 men and 3 women, 2 up 2 count on each apparatus (same as DTB)
Four teams cut after two rotations, third rotation is semi finals, fourth is the final and bronze medal match. (This is how the Swiss Cup works)

This would result in a total of 96 routines, the same as a regular WAG team final, though it might take longer because the first two rotations would be long and then you'd want to maximise TV coverage of the knockout matches.

Last edited:
If the arena is big enough, it probably wouldn't be an issue. Also, historically, some competitions (example: American Cup) have changed the arena mid-competition. I can't remember the details, but I feel like the pommel horse and rings were removed and a beam put up instead.

(On the other hand, parallel bars are easier to move than rings sets, but that might require a stagger or an apparatus order switch.)

If apparatus changes are needed during the competition that is going to slow things down. They have all the apparatus in the arena for the DTB mixed cup, but Olympic venues usually have MAG and WAG apparatus set up in the same place. And If you start restricting the apparatus teams can choose or when they can use them that's going to impact the results. Like imagine a US v China final where the US women go to vault but China can't use the uneven bars because they were taken down midway through the competition.

It could be a two day event, similar to event finals.
Day 1 WAG VT/UB MAG SR/FX/PH
Day 2 WAG BB/FX MAG VT/PB/HB
Can cut teams after Day 1. Would mean you would need to have strong routines on the first 5 routines, but in the Figure Skating event, teams are cut after short skate, so.

British Championships has a nine event set up (two vaults, one floor) and runs WAG/MAG simultaneously. It works well and the competition is held in the 2022 worlds arena so it’s definitely doable to run all the events in the same session.

Not a great photo, but this gives you an idea of the layout.

IMG_5303.jpeg

British Championships has a nine event set up (two vaults, one floor) and runs WAG/MAG simultaneously. It works well and the competition is held in the 2022 worlds arena so it’s definitely doable to run all the events in the same session.

Not a great photo, but this gives you an idea of the layout.

View attachment 10165
I liked on the one event I recently watched, while the judges for MAG were toting up the guy's score, a WAG was competing. Then the judges working on her score meant a MAG could compete. Too bad that level of alternating isn't available on all events.

I’ll bet it’s fun to attend.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back