Luisa Blanco (NCAA Alabama, previously USA) begins representing Colombia in Elite

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Diaz was on the junior national team in 1993-1994
Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 5.37.57 PM

, then she switched to PUR in 1995 and competed at American Cup.
Can’t locate her USAG bio to see if she ended up competed internationally as a junior though.

Can someone tell me what the D score would be for Luisa’s bars at nationals? I know the execution would not be that high. My focus is on the difficulty.

You mean her NCAA routine? 2.8 D score in elite. She’s missing 3 composition requirements and can’t even count 8 skills. A realistic elite routine for her would be at least 5.4 D score, going by skills she’s shown in her career thus far.

Yea that’s exactly what I meant. Thank you. I knew it would not be a routine that she would do at an elite meet. When I said nationals I meant NCAA nationals.

About 98% of NCAA gymnasts would not have a competitive start value in elite on bars due to the lack of composition requirements needed for elite that are not required in NCAA.

NCAA really focuses on completely hand stands and execution of skills, so gymnasts will do the minimum to fulfill NCAA requirements and get a 10 sv.
There has been argument for a while that NCAA should change some of the requirements on bars, such as add in a full turn, for example.
Which might be a nice idea but then a majority of gymnasts will do a full giant into double tuck to fulfil the requirement and get bonus for a dismount that is easy to stick, and so we will see less variety in dismounts that we currently see.

They could give it the front aerial/LOSO treatment where giant 1/1’s don’t get any CV unless connected to a D skill.

The obsession with perfect handstands in casts has always really bothered me about NCAA routines. It’s so bizarre to me that the biggest deduction traps are an A skill, and other more glaring mistakes are not nearly as picked apart. As long as you have something resembling good form, hit perfect handstands in casts, and don’t die on your release (if you even have one) and dismount, you’re going to score 9.8+.

The fact that not a single outstanding NCAA bars routine would score well in Elite is a glaring issue with the NCAA bars code. The code as it is right now is set up to make a 10.0 very, very accessible.

Adding full pirouette or (and) release is a good start to address the huge gap between elite bars and NCAA bars. If full pirouette is required for 10.0 sv, perhaps the requirement on handstand angle can be less strict than elite, which is much better than not requiring any pirouette for 10.0 sv anyway. Right now, bars workers don’t have any significant advantage in NCAA system (Maloney + Pak + D dismount model), but they are extremely rewarded in elite system.

I desperately want more difficulty in NCAA bar routines, but it isn’t interesting to require a full pirouette. Everyone will do a Giant full. There’s no advantage to doing any other kind if it remains so easy to get the 10.0 start value. The desire to see more difficulty in NCAA Bars is also largely about wanting more variety (and getting to see interesting skills and sequences that aren’t worthwhile in Elite). Everyone doing a Giant full isn’t more variety.

According to inside gymnastics Luisa is set to compete at Colombia National Championships mid July. I can’t find any information. No social media/web sites are available. Even the gymternet site doesn’t have anything about it.

A point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
According to inside gymnastics Luisa is set to compete at Colombia National Championships mid July. I can’t find any information. No social media/web sites are available. Even the gymternet site doesn’t have anything about it.

A point in the right direction would be much appreciated.
I haven’t seen anything online yet.
But the championships are 7/12-7/17 so haven’t happened yet.

Here is the Colombia Gymnastics Federation website. Maybe information will be uploaded when it becomes available?
http://www.fedecolgim.co/

With Sydney Barros out with injury and likely unable to do Pan Ams (withdrew from Worlds)
Luisa has a good chance of claiming the +1 all around spot at Pan Am Games to Paris. Her AA score here would be around what would be needed to claim the top spot, given the others near the same score at Pan Am Championships qualify via Worlds.

One of the gymnasts from Mexico would also be a big threat for that spot if they are eligible. But it is possible they get either a team or the maximum of three individual spots qualified at Worlds.

It really depends on Brazil qualifying a team and how the Mexican individuals do. They have two who can go above 51 in the AA, but only one of them can get an AA spot and Moreno would need a vault medal to lock down her spot, right? So she might have to do AA at Pan Am Games because another Mexican gymnast beat her at Pan Am Championships.

I honestly have Mexico qualifying a full team to Paris on my card. So I didn’t even factor them in. Brazil should easily qualify as well as long as their A team is healthy.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back