How are russian women able to do quads and not others in figure skating

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Rich

Reaction score
I just saw Trusova do a 4lz and 3ta and was wondering why other people cannot do them

I think part of it is the training philosophy that allows for very very heavy practice schedules at a very young age and continues that even as bodies start to break down. Trusova has a very strong and athletic build naturally which may have protected her from some of the wear, though.

The thing is I don't want to attribute it all to drugs, because I don't think it is all drugs. We see skaters in other countries learn quads but lose them due to wear-and-tear and subsequent weight gain. Though if anything it might be that the drugs hide the wear-and-tear longer.

Edit to add that Eteri is, in fact, a monster though

Alexandra Trusova is one of the world's best conditioned skaters and uses PEDs for recovery.

Yuna Kim never competed quads nor triple axel. Quads would have destroyed her back.

A number of skaters trained quads but chose not to compete them regularly. I remember multiple Japanese skaters and Sasha Cohen all training quads in the early 2000s and landing creditable ones in practices.

I
A number of skaters trained quads but chose not to compete them regularly. I remember multiple Japanese skaters and Sasha Cohen all training quads in the early 2000s and landing creditable ones in practices.
Oh yes I remember vividly Sasha' s 4sal. She abandoned the attempts quick enough due to back injury.
One of the reasons Eteri girls do quads is due to a 'clever' cheating technique - > than a quarter on take-off and spin on the landing = approximately 3.25 - 3.5 rotations in the air and they call it a quad. But of course considering most ladies chronically underrotate their triples, yeah it can count for a quad.

To be fair, the proper technique in figure skating does include pre-rotation on the ice. It was a really hard thing for me to learn when I started skating after having been so strict about not pre-rotating anything in gymnastics. Anything up to just under a half rotation on ice in takeoff can be considered correct, and anything under a quarter rotation shy on landing is accepted as well. This means up to just under 3/4 of a rotation is technically fine on ice for some jumps. Loop jumps tend to have a longer pre-rotation to get the spring, in toe loops you almost have to draw your foot through to get the proper technique and it's more like 1/3 a rotation pre-turned. It varies by jump.

To pre-rotate more than 1/2 rotation makes the jump sort of weird, though, and I will say I've seen some odd technique from some camps. Eteri's skaters don't necessarily do this, but they do "whip" their jumps around a lot. It's no wonder that Medvedeva now says she can't turn her back in one direction after all of that for years.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back