Figure Skating Thread (Olympic Spoilers/Discussion starting at post #16)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If I ruled the world, I would have held a provisional medal ceremony for the team event toward the end of the games. (Right after some event so that there would be some audience.) There is no “fair” way to do this with the ongoing investigation but I would have awarded the medals as they stand to the teams with cleared athletes. So USA and Japan get silver and bronze. If the investigation and procedures decide that Russia retains gold, have another medal ceremony after the next World Championships for team ROC. If it is decided that Russia does not get gold, team USA and team Japan will likely be happy to “trade in” their medals for gold and silver and have another medal ceremony with the team that gets bronze.

I understand that the IOC/ISU might not relish trying to get gold medals back to re-award them but something could have been done to honor as many athletes as possible.

They should have held a medal ceremony for gold silver bronze with RUS DQ.

If RUS eventually gets Valieva’s drug test overturned, for some reason unbeknownst to all of us, they hold a gold medal ceremony for them at the next World Champio….

oh wait…

I can’t get over how the skaters all received the storage boxes but no medals.

It has been in our news today that RUSADA will drag it’s toe picks and delay it’s decision regarding Kamila Valieva to the maximum allowed time of 6 months from the time of notification of violation. So it won’t be known until August. I imagine this impacts the IOC’s course of action too.

I usually don’t watch post-Olympics worlds but I’m checking it out this year. It pains me to say it but the competition is better off without Russian athletes or officials. China didn’t send a delegation for unknown reasons which is unfortunate. So far I liked Kaori Sakamoto, Ilia Malinin, and Vincent Zhou’s short programs.

I was really impressed with their performance. I don’t think they could have done any better and I was expecting them to skate a safe or tentative program due to the pressure of the moment.

Worlds is turning out to be impressive. Kaori Sakamoto did great.

Hello, the season has started but not without hiccups and mess from event organizers. The first few challenger series events were virtually unwatchable and Armenia cancelled their junior grand prix which lead to the junior women’s event in Poland this week to be 6.5 and 7.5 hours long.

The Nepela trophy came through in HD, though. USA’s next IT-girl in waiting is leading. She gives very much Riley McCusker on ice. Lots of beauty, lots of style, lots of questionable technique and element choices.

Mao Shimada was 2nd to last in the 49-deep jr women’s free skate last night. She put up the highest women’s ISU score of the season so far, junior or senior.

The score itself would’ve been high enough for bronze at worlds, but it’s to be noted that juniors almost always get harsher PCS than seniors and they have a shorter free skate by 30 seconds. They replaced the required step sequence for junior FS with a choreo sequence. So now they have a step sequence in short and a choreo sequence in long. They used to not have a choreo sequence at all. So with a level 3 step sequence with good GOE, she’d go up about 4-5 points.

I love both of those programs that you linked. I’m really hoping that Isabeau can show a consistent season this year as she’s so lovely to watch, but I agree that she can be hit-and-miss technically.
Mao Shimada flies around the rink and brings that speed into her jumps which makes them so exciting. My main criticism is that she uses a lot of two-foot skating and crossovers to keep up her speed, which hurts her choreographically and in her program components. But that extended spiral sequence 😍

Good news: Bradie Tennell switches coaches from Tom Z to Benoit Richaud. And Alexandra Trusova switched from Eteri Tutberidze to Svetlana Sokolovskaya.

Last edited:
There is a hearing scheduled for October though, right. I thought I read that it might not be open to the public… possibly the suspension, if any, as Kamila was a protected person? Did I read that right?

The latest (lack of) news is that RUSADA completed its investigation and is preparing for publication. Adding in the inevitable CAS appeal, the team event results won’t be finalized this year.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back