Figure Skating Thread (Olympic Spoilers/Discussion starting at post #16)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

China’s pairs win wasn’t really a surprise. They’re pretty much co-favorites with the Russian team. How close the margin was was pretty surprising, though. What was the real surprise was how well Scimeca/Frasier scored. Also Hubbel/Donahugh beating the Russian ice dancers, which should make the ice dance competition later more interesting.

Coming in pretty fresh as I stopped following the sport since the last Olympics, I was surprised the Russian pair was so close to the Chinese pair in because man, I liked the Chinese program a ton better.

Are Hubbell and Donnahue the top US team or are Chock and Bates? I can never remember. I was glad that Nathan Chen had a good skate. It was weird that the program had the first 3 disciplines go one day and then the other a few days later. No way to get 2 more flights of skaters in on the one day?

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 5.34.34 PM

There is time to do all 4 in one day but I think they have these spread out for television coverage so they can be broadcast live.
Hubbell and Donahue are about equal with Chock and Bates. H&D finished less than 2 points behind C&B.
H&D were 2nd at Nationals for rhythm so I am surprised they went up in Beijing. Maybe they will do both the RD and the FD.

I don’t claim to understand why USFSA makes the decisions they do. I’ve been confused since 2014 when they stopped using rank order at Nationals. I just know that Hubbell said that they planned to split, and this being Bates’s fourth Olympics I doubt he would give up a chance at finally earning a medal. Also, given the promo, I think the decision was made awhile ago. Chock and Bates probably wanted to do their free dance and had first pick being national champions.

Last edited:
I know the short program has required elements, but I swear everyone does the exact same spins–or at least hit the same positions in the exact same order…

When the name of the game is getting the most points via difficulty, because accurately judging actual skating skills and even execution of jumps and spins is just way too difficult, that’s what you end up with. It makes the WAG COP look like an inspired document devoted to rewarding risk, originality, and virtuosity.

It’s so ironic because I’m in pretty deep into both the figure skating and gymnastics fandoms, and figure skating fans think gymnastics rules suck and gymnastics fans think figure skating rules suck. There’s a lot of misconceptions on both sides.

It’s safe to say the team medals will be:

Gold: ROC
Silver: USA
Bronze: Japan

Karen Chen and Vincent Zhou killed America’s long-shot chance of winning. And Japan going up or down in rankings is very unlikely.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back