Elimination of NLI Immediately

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

cuuf

Reaction score
More news in the rapidly changing rules. NCAA is doing away with NLI immediately due to the pending settlement (which I guess received preliminary approval by the judge the day before). It looks like some other type of contract will replace it, but will be more specific to the university and allow them to roll the revenue sharing component into the "contract". I don't think it will change much around gymnastics, but I don't know if we will see a signing day in November as we traditionally have since schools will probably need to take some time to figure out what that contract will look like?

Also it seems to indicate that schools can contact other athletes at other schools without penalty now. Where before the athlete had to be in the transfer portal. Things are going to get interesting in the next year.

Also it seems to indicate that schools can contact other athletes at other schools without penalty now. Where before the athlete had to be in the transfer portal. Things are going to get interesting in the next year.
Don't really understand your interpretation above as the espn article says this:

Under the new rules, transfer athletes will be allowed to sign with a new school after they've formally entered the portal. Per the NCAA, once a prospect has signed a written offer of athletic aid, other schools will be "prohibited from recruiting communications."

Sounds like the NLI is being replaced with a contract where an athlete must be in the transfer portal for schools to seek contact with athletes and once they sign with a school recruit communications are no longer allowed. This does not sound like "schools can contact other athletes at other schools without penalty now". Sounds more like the schools are going to be protected from other schools trying to poach their athletes.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back