Do you think some US gymnasts (Shannon Miller, Shawn Johnson, Gabby Douglas, Simone Biles) can be selected as torchbearers for Olympic LA 2028 opening

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Considering that Paris had 2, both male and female flag bearers, I could see the possibility of a male and female lighting the cauldron together.

Reactions: JDB
Now that somebody mentioned it, I'm sure Mary Lou Retton will be offered, so it may very well be her and Phelps lighting the cauldron together. Jackie Joyner-Kersee is another I'm sure will have a role (or be offered a role). A shame FloJo is long gone.

Can MLR carry her oxygen and the torch? Last photo I saw she was carrying oxygen around.

Carrying both oxygen and a torch could risk MLR turning into the Olympic flame herself…not ideal, but definitely memorable

Honestly, I can't imagine it surpassing Muhammad Ali lighting the Olympic Flame and how he came out to do it.
My vote is Michael Phelps.

Given how many of us imagine that Phelps will be chosen, it's almost hard to imagine the organizing committee NOT deciding that. Phelps + Retton could be entertaining because of the height difference, but there's not a person alive who could pair with Phelps without it feeling lopsided, I feel.

That said, the person who lights the torch is not necessarily chosen because they were such dominant athletes. In 1984, Gina Hemphill carried the torch in the stadium. I don't remember that she was a top athlete herself — I just remember she was Jesse Owens' granddaughter. The cauldron was lit by Rafer Johnson. Johnson only won a single decathlon gold medal but he was chosen for a big mix of other (good) reasons.

Alyson Felix is my other guess if they are going for 2--she is still active in the olympic movement. I think it was interesting that the French had non-French athletes as part of their last leg relay. And, well, Snoop Dogg.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back