Aquatic Sports

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Hatsumomo

Defender
I’m getting into diving (as a viewer; maybe one day I’ll do it for recreation. It looks fun), but it’s hard to find forums like this one. The results that come up are for scuba diving.

I’m watching the FINA World Championships, but the Olympics Channel only showed swimming and then said that’s it, the championships are over as far as we’re concerned, so I’m watching the archives of FINA’s international livestream. Which is fine, but there’s no commentary so I’m not sure what constitutes as a good dive other than minimal splash.

Which is fine, but there’s no commentary so I’m not sure what constitutes as a good dive other than minimal splash.
Height and execution are a huge part of the score, as well as staying close to the board/platform (but not too close), vertical line is also extremely important, and of course the entry, or rip as that is where the splash comes from.

Cynthia Potter is a god send and she’s got amazing knowledge of the sport having been a 4 time Olympian and bronze medalist. But on top of that she is just a fantastic commentator. If you can find Olympic and World coverage with Potter commentating, it is worth the watch.

I was a longtime gymnast who switched to diving and still compete in diving currently. Here is a YouTube channel that is a treasure trove of springboard and platform diving - https://youtube.com/c/FLiPnRiP
Awesome! Thank you for posting this channel.
I wish I could still compete in diving but 1. no options to train anywhere close 2. I am old and get sore just going up and down the stairs with a laundry basket.

Welcome to the board!

2022 Worlds Playlist.
Lots of full event coverage, including preliminaries and semi finals.

Last edited:
Diving junior world championships are about to start in Montreal.
I’m usually not especially interested in diving but, this time, Juliette Landi (Cécile and Laurent’s daughter) will be competing there, representing France.
I hope she will be good enough to eventually represent France at Paris Olympics. I think the minimum required age is 14. Am I right? Is there any qualifying procedure to the Olympics?

Cool that she is in diving.
Yes, 14 is currently the age for senior diving, but there is talk t change it to 16, so we shall see what happens.

I’m not sure what the situation is, because she competed at US Nationals this summer (she came 8th at 3m). I think she is 15 already so any age change won’t affect her

2023_06_03_cliff_diving

I saw a Cliff Diving World Series competition in Boston recently. The divers dealt with cold, rainy, windy conditions that day.

Last edited:
I was big time into diving in high school (still am just my body doesn’t agree with me) and cliff diving terrified the heck out of me. Then again 10m also terrified me. I jumped off it once and my coach wanted me to try a forward dive and I said “NOPE and if you try to make me I am walking out of here!”
He never brought it up again. 😂

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back