Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

irichluck21

Staff member
Defender
Monday, January 29
7:00 pmIllinois 196.1750 @ Ohio State 197.1000
Wednesday, January 31
7:00 pmS.E. Missouri @ Illinois State - Live Stats

Why is ASU's video coverage always so shitty? It's blatantly biased. They're constantly cutting away from their competitors mid routine.

And I thought they were going to stagger routines and limit them to two going at once so we could see more routines.

The judging at the LSU meet certainly felt like a fever dream.

I wish the ASU tri-meet had been covered by someone else. I was excited about the OU Cal match up, but the broadcast was unwatchable.
I don't get why their coverage is consistently so bad. I feel like I watched a meet last year that was just ASU vs OU. They did the same thing. Skipping parts of OU routines to show replays or even just ASU standing around.

UCLA just went 198 with not too cracky scoring 👀
They definitely smoked crack before the floor rotation.

This is a huge problem, as rankings and regional placements are decided by scores, which in theory is the fairest way to do it. The problem is that every single meet is scored with a different pen, meaning it’s almost impossible to compare scores at this point. I would have less of a problem with over scoring if it was applied universally.

They absolutely need to switch to a more
Open-ended code of execution scoring, with explicit deduction and none of the made up 0.025 that judges sometimes take. Routines can absolutely still be scored out of 10, but this isn’t working anymore.

They definitely smoked crack before the floor rotation.

This is a huge problem, as rankings and regional placements are decided by scores, which in theory is the fairest way to do it. The problem is that every single meet is scored with a different pen, meaning it’s almost impossible to compare scores at this point. I would have less of a problem with over scoring if it was applied universally.

They absolutely need to switch to a more
Open-ended code of execution scoring, with explicit deduction and none of the made up 0.025 that judges sometimes take. Routines can absolutely still be scored out of 10, but this isn’t working anymore.
This right here. It's bad enough that the judging is, on the whole, incapable of adequately separating good from great from truly exceptional. That you have some meets which appear somewhat scored according to the code vs. meets where it seems like just showing up means throwing out minimum 9.9s means I cannot take NCAA seriously at all.

I am also tired of the same routine.
Maloney/Shaposhnikova, pak salto, half turn on low bar, stand on low bar, jump to high bar, dismount.

Maybe requiring a same bar release to start from 10.0. Additionally, I would eliminate standing on the bar as a transition or having it be a deduction of .1

Honestly, and I kind of can't believe I am saying this given I have love for the 10.0 system, with so many gymnasts of elite level/comparable to elite level/actually still competing elite, the women's side could go the way of the men's and make a modified version of the elite system at this point. NCAA is no longer where female gymnasts are put out to pasture, but can actually develop new elites at this point.

Switch to the FIG code and call it a day.

When the age limit for Senior Elite is raised to 18, NCAA WAG insisting on using their fantasy scoring system is going to be more of a pain in the ass for all the athletes trying to do both. Would be easier if they followed the MAG model instead of forcing everyone to retool all their routines every six months.

Honestly, I think they should just switch to the JO code and actually enforce it. I think the USAG JO code does so much better at scoring execution specifically than the Elite code does. (I would support making it a bit harder to get to a 10.0 SV though, especially on bars and floor.)

I don't see how changing the code or the scoring system will help. The problem isn't that the deductions aren't there to take, it's that the judges are blatantly ignoring things that should be obvious deductions. I mean how many 10s with hops on the landings have we seen. They can change the system as much as they want, but if the judges continue to ignore blatant deductions, it won't change anything.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back