1994 US Nationals

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Wow I didn’t know Wendy Bruce was still competing in 1994.
Weird to see nationals not competed on a podium.
Who was the female coach with Moceanu and Alexandrov?
Best hair: MLT and her male coach!

Meanwhile, I'm shaking my head because Dominique Dawes could somehow do a bars routine lacking a same bar release and still start from a 10! Insane. She did debut her hindorff in Dortmund, which was nice. Still looked so damn good that year, even without a release. Other than Atlanta team finals, she never again looked as locked in and amazing as she did in 1994.

- A same bar release was not a requirement in the 1993-1996 COP.

- Dawes had two D + D connections within her routine that earned enough bonus for a 10.0 SV if everything was credited (Dawes + overshoot to handstand, and back uprise + giant full). In total, she had 0.8 bonus (0.4 each of DV and CV) of the required 0.6.

- In event finals in Brisbane, she was only credited with a 9.9 SV. The giant full was most likely downgraded to a C for not being finished within 10 degrees of handstand. In addition, I have heard it said that her dismount was credited as a full-in as opposed to a full-out, even though she clearly performed a full-out. The D for the full-in vs. the E for the full-out would explain the other missing 0.1 in bonus that dropped her to a 9.9 SV.

Oh, man. This was the year Steve Nunno showed up with his little posse of Shannon clones and wanna-bes. The OG Shannon was so clearly over it--and yet, she was the only one of the bunch who made it to Atlanta.
It was bad enough that the clones all had the same music and choreo as Shannon. But lacking creativity in floor music selection and choreo wasn't unique to Dynamo. (Hello, GAGE!) And of course they all did a bhs 1/4 turn on beam.

But then they made those girls wear their hair the exact same way. Not just the giant bows. Look closely. Every one of them wore a large flat clip just behind their bangs, just as Shannon did. Every one of them braided their hair and tucked it under, just like Shannon. It was beyond creepy. There's zero variation. At least the current GAGE gymnasts wear their giant buns at different places on their heads, some go with giant scrunchies+ Leanne bows, some just Leanne bows, some go with multiple giant scrunchies + sparkly bun cover....... But 1993-1996 Dynamo was disconcerting.

- A same bar release was not a requirement in the 1993-1996 COP.

- Dawes had two D + D connections within her routine that earned enough bonus for a 10.0 SV if everything was credited (Dawes + overshoot to handstand, and back uprise + giant full). In total, she had 0.8 bonus (0.4 each of DV and CV) of the required 0.6.

- In event finals in Brisbane, she was only credited with a 9.9 SV. The giant full was most likely downgraded to a C for not being finished within 10 degrees of handstand. In addition, I have heard it said that her dismount was credited as a full-in as opposed to a full-out, even though she clearly performed a full-out. The D for the full-in vs. the E for the full-out would explain the other missing 0.1 in bonus that dropped her to a 9.9 SV.
Thanks! I figured there was no same-bar requirement. Just surprised there was any way to get to a 10.00 without doing so. Oh the days when the code was so much more flexible!

I miss seeing a beautiful back uprise to handstand. Shame the current code killed that skill.

Jennie Thompson's 3 whips through to triple full really stood out as cool. And she nailed it in one of the rounds of that Championships (and fell the other time).

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back