Sabrina Voinea

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Puffin

Reaction score
...in other news, Nemour competed in RomGym Trophy this past weekend and won AA with 56.9, which is higher than anyone but Biles during the trials.
She also won UB, BB and FX and posted higher scores on all three events during EF than she did in AA.
Her bars there were 7.2 D, beam 6.5.

Did Sabrina Voinea not compete at the actual RomGym? - I can't see her on the results.

She was at the RomGym PT as the Rom squad was scored for PT as part of their Olympic selection process. I'm not sure what Rom will do about AA as Sabrina has regressed on UB had a total meltdown on (even by her standards) - she scored only 7.75 ... and yes that's D+E

Did Sabrina Voinea not compete at the actual RomGym? - I can't see her on the results.

She was at the RomGym PT as the Rom squad was scored for PT as part of their Olympic selection process. I'm not sure what Rom will do about AA as Sabrina has regressed on UB had a total meltdown on (even by her standards) - she scored only 7.75 ... and yes that's D+E

I saw somewhere that she withdrew from a competition due to tendinitis and a lot of people were a bit spectical of the reason

That was exceptionally bad. I don't think I would have let her finish.

Reactions: Dex
Awful. I was pleasantly surprised and relieved when she caught the release and landed the dismount. Sometimes you just need to abandon ship.

Yikes. Aside from the falls and stops, the routine was excruciatingly labored. Even the KCHS is extremely muscled; she couldn't even cast to handstand after one of the falls, she had to drop to a swing. What conditioning does her mother have her doing because wow.

It was pretty scary.

I don't think she's managed the full turn on lb properly all year - even when she "hits" - like at Euros - she falls out of it and is almost horizontal by the time the turn is completed. Sometimes I wonder if she would score better with the "Roberson solution" from last year where they took out Joscelyn's same bar release for a while and took the CR hit because it cost less than constant falls.

I do not understand how someone who is of international standard on 3 pieces, can be so bad at bars. Even the likes of Ponor, Cheng, Sacramone were not that bad

Obviously Camelia is a shit UB coach and Sabrina looked exhausted during the UB set - overtraining?

I think her mother and their supporters (like Ponor) are obsessed with Sabrina as Rom's AA star at the Olympics (remember the shit that was directed at Ana Barbosu at Worlds and Ponor being removed from the floor?). But in reality she is a typical Rom BB/FX gymnast and has regressed on UB and even VT.

Reactions: Dex
I think we’ve discussed whether Sabrina is handicapped by her mother? That vault issue in Antwerp, meltdowns, etc say something isn’t working.

That's.....beyond bad. She looks dreadfully out of shape. It blows my mind that an elite gymnast cannot do a simple cast handstand. I wonder what is actually going on. It's got to be way more than tendonitis in her legs.

Last edited:
Maybe she has tendonitis in her arm or something?

Reactions: Bob
Looking back through results in the 80s, Mama Voinea wasn't terrible at UB - she came 4th in the 85 Worlds UB final. You'd think she would at least have solid basics to train her daughter!

Considering how fabulous Nadia and Teodora were on this apparatus, then later Silivas, Milosovici, Nistor, there have been good UB coaches in Romania at some point.

I don't understand why they have never done anything about this obvious weakness?

Looking back through results in the 80s, Mama Voinea wasn't terrible at UB - she came 4th in the 85 Worlds UB final. You'd think she would at least have solid basics to train her daughter!

Considering how fabulous Nadia and Teodora were on this apparatus, then later Silivas, Milosovici, Nistor, there have been good UB coaches in Romania at some point.

I don't understand why they have never done anything about this obvious weakness?
Bars are nothing like how they were in the 80s so it’s not really a comparison. I don’t just mean the apparatus but the elements, the judging, and even technique and how it is taught.

Well maybe not terrible - but she was strictly a 9.7 gymnast when you needed 9.85-9.9 to get into finals. But she was really lucky because ub at this Championships was a splatfest - Yurchenko, Shushunova, Omelianchik and Silivas all had falls or major errors in qualifying so she was gifted a final place and then Szabo had major errors in the final.

I don't know what has happened with Romania's UB coaching - I assume the defections and 1989 regime change meant a lot of the coaching pool left for better paid positions abroad. Also 1989 basically forced the national team into retirement. Then there have been several talented ub workers that have forced to quit through injury (Sofronie/Porgras).

They need a new strategy at junior level where they can build difficulty as well as basics. They seem to have nobody at the moment that can get near 14.

My sense watching that routine is that she just doesn't put in the numbers on bars. I would guess that she hates working on the event and under-trains relative to her strengths. I have zero confidence that she has hit that routine in practice and I hope they bench her on the event in Paris.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back