REWIND : Week FOUR : 14/10 : 2007 European Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

MaryClare

Defender
Reaction score
As requested, in celebration of Vanessa Ferrari’s career. Unfortunately the only English speaking commentary I could find was extremely poor video quality and split into 4 parts. So here is the Dutch Eurosport version

My takeaways:

It’s easy to forget that Izbasa was actually a decent AA gymnast.

This was such a nightmare quad for Russia generally, but this competition exemplifies it. You would genuinely think that they were on their way out, like the rest of the ex eastern bloc.

I hate this COP for everything except bars. It made bars what they are today.

A lot of gymnasts from the previous quad were still competing, but very few had any success

05-07 was rough for Russia, but I was pleasantly surprised by how good they looked in Beijing prelims. There's a huge difference between them at this Euros and the Olympics. Obviously we all know how that one ended, but I did not think they were going to be closer in quality to the US than to Romania.

Would argue it was a decent quad for vault too. Beam and floor.... yeah.

As requested, in celebration of Vanessa Ferrari’s career. Unfortunately the only English speaking commentary I could find was extremely poor video quality and split into 4 parts. So here is the Dutch Eurosport version

My takeaways:

It’s easy to forget that Izbasa was actually a decent AA gymnast.

This was such a nightmare quad for Russia generally, but this competition exemplifies it. You would genuinely think that they were on their way out, like the rest of the ex eastern bloc.

I hate this COP for everything except bars. It made bars what they are today.

A lot of gymnasts from the previous quad were still competing, but very few had any success

Izbasa really was a good all-arounder. She got victimized by the codes bar need and without an Amanar to compensate, it was always going to keep her down.

Nistor was always interesting too (messy). She had publicly said that she felt she could have at least medaled in the AA in Bejing if Belu and Bitang had been coaching her. Wasn't she being held together with tape by the time the Olympics rolled around.

Russia... oof.
Who was coaching the Russian Juniors then?
And was Pravdina just passed by her teammates in '08?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back