REWIND : WEEK FIVE 21/10 : 1985 World Championship

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

MaryClare

Defender
Reaction score
If there ever was a “self care” of gymnastics competitions, this is it. Well, to anyone with any sort of taste it is.

But it occurred to me recently that I’ve never actually watched full coverage of it. For many of us, we’ll remember the videos of individual routines, cut from Frank Endo’s footage that were available on the 80s section of Gymnstands and then made it onto the hub.

I found this coverage of AA final from British television that I found interesting, as it begins with a frank discussion about the Mostepanova/Baraksanova/Sushunova/Omelianchik situation and USSR tactics in general. But if you fancy watching any of the other parts of the competition, please feel free discuss those too.

Oh, wow. One of my all-time favorite competitions. I'll watch the video sometime this week, but first I'll share some thoughts from numerous viewings over the years:

I've always had mixed feelings about the AA. I recently watched TF, and Mostepanova was clearly not at her best. Baraksanova, on the other hand, looked very good. I can believe that Mostepanova was legitimately injured, but I'm less sure about Baraksanova--nor am I convinced that either gymnast was too injured to compete in the AA final. I think the Soviets really wanted Shushunova and Omelianchik on the podium, and they were prepared to do everything necessary to make that happen.

Watching Yurchenko here just made me sad. She looked exhausted, even ill. Szabo also seemed so over it. (Both gymnasts competed at the Universiade just a few weeks before Worlds, so they were probably very tired; Yurchenko even said as much in an interview ca. 1986-87.)

Oh, wow. One of my all-time favorite competitions. I'll watch the video sometime this week, but first I'll share some thoughts from numerous viewings over the years:

I've always had mixed feelings about the AA. I recently watched TF, and Mostepanova was clearly not at her best. Baraksanova, on the other hand, looked very good. I can believe that Mostepanova was legitimately injured, but I'm less sure about Baraksanova--nor am I convinced that either gymnast was too injured to compete in the AA final. I think the Soviets really wanted Shushunova and Omelianchik on the podium, and they were prepared to do everything necessary to make that happen.

Watching Yurchenko here just made me sad. She looked exhausted, even ill. Szabo also seemed so over it. (Both gymnasts competed at the Universiade just a few weeks before Worlds, so they were probably very tired; Yurchenko even said as much in an interview ca. 1986-87.)
85 was really the beginning of the peak USSR- Romania rivalry. Even at a competition like Universiade, they would have been under huge pressure to win.

I know what I'm going to be watching tonight! I, too, have only seen individual routine videos here and there. Can't wait to watch this.

I know what I'm going to be watching tonight! I, too, have only seen individual routine videos here and there. Can't wait to watch this.
Keep an eye out for a young Tatiana Perskaya. She can only have been around 30, which seems incredibly young to have coached a world champion.

Wow. I have been a fan of omelianchik since 2003 and have been lucky enough to meet her. I was today years old when I learned that she wasn’t actually born in Kiev, but in Ulan Ude which is in the Russian far east close to the Mongolian border

Wow. I have been a fan of omelianchik since 2003 and have been lucky enough to meet her. I was today years old when I learned that she wasn’t actually born in Kiev, but in Ulan Ude which is in the Russian far east close to the Mongolian border
I've been a fan since 1984, and I didn't learn this until today!

85 was really the beginning of the peak USSR- Romania rivalry. Even at a competition like Universiade, they would have been under huge pressure to win.

It was a very close meet! The team competition (and maybe the AA) might have been even closer if Lavinia Agache hadn't broken her kneecap in training--although she was far from her best at this point. (I carried such a torch for her. I actually liked her better than Szabo back then, but now I prefer Szabo.)

Oohhh the first one of these that’s before my time as a gym fan, should be interesting. Add me to the group that’s seen individual routines but never the full coverage.

I get annoyed at that, too.

Coincidentally, though, all but one member of that team was Russian, I think. (Baraksanova was Uzbek?)

Am I the only one who's irked when the commentators refer to the Soviets as "the Russians?"
Nope. It annoys everyone, then and today, across the entire former USSR, including Russia. It’s literally the only thing we all agree upon. Actually no, everyone thinks Moldova is really fucking weird.

I am told though, from media people who were around during that time, that it was a phrase they were encouraged to use, in opposition to the USSR. So I guess similar to phrases we hear now like “so called Islamic State”.

However in more recent times I have heard both Valeri Liukin and Evgeny Marchenko described as Russian.

I get annoyed at that, too.

Coincidentally, though, all but one member of that team was Russian, I think. (Baraksanova was Uzbek?)
Well, it’s all a little bit complicated really. But if we’re going to insist that Oksana Omelianchik is Russian, I’ll turn my VPN off.

She’s not. But then, Irina Baraksanova isn’t really Uzbeki, anymore than Lobaznyuk is.

Last edited:
Nope. It annoys everyone, then and today, across the entire former USSR, including Russia. It’s literally the only thing we all agree upon. Actually no, everyone thinks Moldova is really fucking weird.

I am told though, from media people who were around during that time, that it was a phrase they were encouraged to use, in opposition to the USSR. So I guess similar to phrases we hear now like “so called Islamic State”.

However in more recent times I have heard both Valeri Liukin and Evgeny Marchenko described as Russian.
Okay, this is quite validating. I'm particularly intrigued by the comment about Moldova because my maternal grandmother's family emigrated from Chisinau to New York in the early 20th century (Jewish diaspora).

Last edited:
Well, it’s all a little bit complicated really. But if we’re going to insist that Oksana Omelianchik is Russian, I’ll turn my VPN off.

She’s not. But then, Irina Baraksanova isn’t really Uzbeki, anymore than Lobaznyuk is.

I would really love to learn more about demographics in the former USSR. Probably something for another thread.

More about the gymnastics. I really didn't like Shushunova, but her technical prowess is unassailable. Silivas was also brilliant here. Even though her floor choreography is somewhat juvenile, it's clear that she's had real dance training on top of natural musicality.

The East Germans are so weird. I never liked Maxi Gnauck, and I really don't like Kersten, Klotz, or Fahnrich. The rainbow leotards scream happy, but everything else screams robot with a mullet.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back