Chusovitina will attempt to qualify to Paris 2024, would be her 9th Olympics!

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I hope we'll see Chuso's Doha videos soon, in the meanwhile, can someone please score her floor from Uzbekistan Championship?

She hasn't yet. Last time she vaulted was US nationals in 2023.

Other contenders- we need to see what happens in Doha first. Also not many of the eligible Asian gymnasts have competed AA yet this year, so a lot of this is guesswork. Here are the Asian Games AA results from 2023.

Ting Hua Tien got 50.299 in the AA final at the Asian Games, so would be competitive, but she may get the 2nd Doha beam spot. There were other Taiwanese gymnasts around the 49 mark at worlds.

Malabuyo hasn't done either vault or bars in elite this quad, but we know from NCAA that she'd be capable of competing AA if she wanted/needed to.

The North Koreans are, as ever, an enigma. They did well at the Asian Games, but the athletes they've sent to the world cup circuit this year have looked weaker than they did in 2023. Kim Su Jong came 3rd in the Asian Games and it's hard to see anyone beating 51.466 if she could do it again. But she hasn't competed at all, so we've no idea.

@esta Dipa got 49.550 in the Indian Nationals in January. Not sure if she's confirmed whether she'll go to the Asian championships or not. That's the only AA she's done since she got unbanned. If it's remotely reliable, she's a potential contender, but I don't know how much home cooking was involved. Don't think we got vids of anything other than vault.

I'm no doubt missing people, so feel free to chime in.
What about Kylee Kvamme? She had a mid 49 at worlds last year(and would have been mid 50 if had hit floor). Do we know if she plans to compete for the Philippines any more or if she is focusing on NCAA?

Kvamme just won the Region 2 SR C AA last week.

Which doesn't mean she isn't going for elite. But she is still doing level 10.

Doha wise, Chuso scratched beam and floor. She was in the vault final today, finished 5th, and the 13.633 she got for the Tsuk 1.5 is her highest single vault score for a while.

And Levi is one of the people who could theoretically have beaten her in the Asian championships... so a good day on the whole I think. Yesterday's 9.733 on bars slightly less so!

Some training footage from Insta. Barani on vault, double tuck off beam and choreo on floor.

Ting Hua Tien was a potentially significant contender for the Asian continental spot, so her qualification through beam is good for Chusovitina and everyone else who's attempting it.

Some training footage from Insta. Barani on vault, double tuck off beam and choreo on floor.

Ting Hua Tien was a potentially significant contender for the Asian continental spot, so her qualification through beam is good for Chusovitina and everyone else who's attempting it.

Who is attempting it other than Chusovitina and possibly Malabuyo?

Who is attempting it other than Chusovitina and possibly Malabuyo?
Chuso's the only one I've actually seen confirm it so far.

If the North Koreans come and look at all like they did in 2023 (they haven't at the world cups) it'll go to one of them. Otherwise, Taiwan has several gymnasts in the 48s and 49s. Karmakar got 49.5 at the Indian nationals in January. Maybe Aida Bauyrzhanova?

Personally I'm fine with Chuso not making it to Paris. She's had a great run but her gymnastics has been pretty ugly for awhile now.
I don’t like her gymnastics, nor her for that matter.

But I haven’t been alive for an Olympics without her.

For me, it's one of those things like Gabby attempting a comeback that is at minimum, really interesting. Whatever one's preference happens to be.

The idea that a gymnast is vying for Olympic qualification as she stares down the barrel of 50 is one of those things that sounds like it can't possibly be real. Until it is. We're decades past the time when this was a sport for only teenagers, of course. The majority of big competitions lately have had a WAG medallist in her 30s. But how many of us would've predicted even 10 years ago that we'd be having this discussion?

Chuso is a true phenomenon. In her case not having pretty gymnastics is just not the point. An almost 50 year old woman gymnast going to the Olympics and likely making the vault final is just not something I understand anyone not wanting to see.

Yep — that's how I feel, too. Except that I am older and lived through 4 other Olympics. LOL.

I actually don't think she should go if she can't qualify with her gymnastics, and her gymnastics has deteriorated with age in ways that not only age accounts for — a 49 year old could be an artist and dancer easily.

But she's trying, so it will be a bit of minus for her not to have made it all the same given the history.

So I heard from a solid source that Malabuyo is not going to Asian Games.
Which is interesting but given her injuries this year, having to upgrade bars and vault I can see why.

I hope that she continues toward LA, hopefully all of the current US-Filipino gymnasts because they have a solid chance to qualify a full team IMO.

So I heard from a solid source that Malabuyo is not going to Asian Games.
Which is interesting but given her injuries this year, having to upgrade bars and vault I can see why.

I hope that she continues toward LA, hopefully all of the current US-Filipino gymnasts because they have a solid chance to qualify a full team IMO.
from reddit
Paige Anastasi just posted a YouTube video of Emma re-learning yurchenko full on vault :) I take this to mean she’s going for an Olympic spot via AA qualification.

Who has a better chance.

Last edited:

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back