Biggest what ifs/if onlys?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

RAFIKI

Defender
Reaction score
Direct FX EF moments are banned to give us all a break. Indirect FX EF musings like "what if Gadirova was healthy?" are fine.

If only: I'll kick off with Kinsella taking one less step on her UB dismount in TF. Yes there were other moments that could have lifted GB from 4th to bronze (Evans Amanar step OOB, Downie BB D score) but this one had so many landing faults that it was extra painful.

What if: I wonder if we'll ever find out what it's like when everyone hits in a TF?

If only Jess Gadirova's knees had cooperated. That likely would've also had the happy side effect of meaning You Know What never happened, albeit the Twitter and 4 year fan redditer tantrums would probably have been almost as soul destroying in their own way.

What if... Germany WAG had stuck one more landing at worlds last year. You have to think Kevric, Schaefer, Seitz, Voss and Schoenmeier would probably have made TFs.

Last edited:
In that vein, what if not all of Shilese, Skye, and Kayla went down at Trials? Obviously, the first spot to be taken would be Hezly's, but say Skye or Kayla didn't rip up their Achilles' whose spot would they have gotten?
For me at least, I only thought of Kayla being an alternate to the team, the team I predicted (or at least hoped for) was Simone, Shilese, Skye, Suni, and Jade

Trials rankings using Blakely and DiCello's scores from Nationals, and Jones' score from Classics doubled.

1. Biles - 117.225
2. Jones - 115.300*
3. Blakely - 113.850*
4. Lee - 111.675
5. Chiles - 111.425
6. Carey - 111.350
7. Rivera - 111.150
8. Roberson - 110.975
9. DiCello - 110.800*
10. Wong - 110.425
11. Sumanasekera - 109.550
12. Lincoln - 109.400

Interestingly, the medal haul would have been exactly the same! TF Gold, Gold/Bronze in the AA and VT, Bronze UB, Skye would have fallen in EF had she made it over Suni, and Silver/Bronze in FX (ignoring the ensuing ridiculousness).

What if Ellie black had stayed on during quals and hit her tuck full in finals. I haven’t actually looked at her tf score compared to that final but it was so wide open and she’s often so steady I keep thinking that could have finally been her Olympic medal

What if Ellie black had stayed on during quals and hit her tuck full in finals. I haven’t actually looked at her tf score compared to that final but it was so wide open and she’s often so steady I keep thinking that could have finally been her Olympic medal
YES! I thought this right after her fantastic TF performance.

FWIW she scored 14.3 in TF which would have won silver in EF.

What if the Russians were allowed to compete I'm sure it would have shook up the medals.
Absolutely. It's been wonderful to see new teams break into the medals in recent years, but it's definitely largely thanks to the absence of the Russians. I'm very curious to see what the dynamic will be like when Russia comes back. Will teams like Italy and GB be able to give the Russians a run for their money, after the latter has been out of international competition for so long? Or will they continue to consistently take team silver or bronze?

Absolutely. It's been wonderful to see new teams break into the medals in recent years, but it's definitely largely thanks to the absence of the Russians. I'm very curious to see what the dynamic will be like when Russia comes back. Will teams like Italy and GB be able to give the Russians a run for their money, after the latter has been out of international competition for so long? Or will they continue to consistently take team silver or bronze?
I'd say China's ongoing issues have probably been the bigger factor in the new teams breaking in. The trend for surprise bronzes was already established before the ban with Italy in 2019 and GB in 2021, and China had also left room in 2018 too.

We can probably assume Russia would have been top 3 in 2022-4. But that would still have left us with, at minimum, bronze for GB in 2022, Brazil in 2023 and Italy just now. It'll be interesting to see what happens next, definitely.

I'd say China's ongoing issues have probably been the bigger factor in the new teams breaking in. The trend for surprise bronzes was already established before the ban with Italy in 2019 and GB in 2021, and China had also left room in 2018 too.

We can probably assume Russia would have been top 3 in 2022-4. But that would still have left us with, at minimum, bronze for GB in 2022, Brazil in 2023 and Italy just now. It'll be interesting to see what happens next, definitely.
China is definitely a factor, but with Russia in the mix, it's unlikely that we would have seen Canada, France, and Brazil take bronze in 2022, 2023, and 2024, respectively. Their absence has really opened a door.

What if i enjoyed a sport that wasn't run by imbeciles.

Excuse my bluntness, it's not usually my style, but I was looking for comedic effect. Although it's a little true as well, I just don't like calling people imbeciles unless I know them personally and I'm sure they're imbeciles

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back