BG Acro Coaching Question

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

AnonGymMum

Reaction score
My child does Acrobatic Gymnastics and has just been moved up to Grade 4.

The gym has decided to break up the classes into two sections. An A and a B group. The A group have the full coaching staff whereas the B group which my child is in are being taught by a Level One Coach and a 17 year old ex-gymnast Level One Coach.

My question is, is this sufficient coaching levels for the grade? They are single-handedly overseeing a group of about 16 gymnasts.

In terms of BG rules and insurance regulations, yes it’s sufficient assuming the whole session is being overseen by a coach who is L3 or above. Or at least that was the case when I last coached in England, around 5 years ago.

There are a small number of British posters here. I’m not sure if anyone is currently coaching and I don’t believe anyone involved with acro. But this is unlikely to be right discussion forum for you to get any answers or opinion on this, particularly with it being days before the Olympics.

The best person to voice your concerns to is the head coach, or management of your gymnastics club. If you believe there is a safety or supervision issue, then approach the nominated welfare officer that all BG registered clubs are required to have.

Hi Mary thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the class isn’t being overseen by anyone else hence my concern. I wanted to check before I started questioning the gym but I think I will have to. Thank you.

Hi Mary thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the class isn’t being overseen by anyone else hence my concern. I wanted to check before I started questioning the gym but I think I will have to. Thank you.
You mentioned that the group is split into 2 sections. If the other group is in the same gym, then that counts as those coaches overseeing the session. The L1 coach doesn’t have to be actively supervised.

The other group do different days with full coaching staff. These same staff are not present in the gym for group B

The other group do different days with full coaching staff. These same staff are not present in the gym for group B
So there are no coaches around other than a 17 year old L1? I’m pretty sure that no one, regardless of their qualification, is allowed to coach children alone.

A Level One 17 year old and a Level One coach who is also a parent.

A Level One 17 year old and a Level One coach who is also a parent.
Yes, I’d go straight to the welfare officer about that one. If your club has a website, their contact details should be displayed.
Outside of safety concerns, it doesn’t sound like the gym has any intention of this group progressing. That’s why they are being taught by L1s. Right now is a great time of year to find a new club to start in September

Reactions: Bob

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back