Athens 2004 20th Anniversary

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

JDB

Reaction score
It's a little early but I wanted to start a thread while our Olympics enthusiast users are around. The 2004 Olympics was quite an event. It featured good gymnastics and controversial judging decisions, the two things Gymnaverse members can't live without.

My personal highlights:

Kyle Shewfelt (CAN)

Marian Dragulescu (ROU)

Carly Patterson (USA)

Irina Tchachina (RUS)

Almudena Cid (ESP)

Italy's RG group
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJZSsnNZ8s

Athens was the first Olympics where I properly followed gymnastics.

I remember being very happy because Russia managed to get a bronze medal after the disaster of 2003 worlds.

And the controversy about Nemov’s bars score that many say was significant in shaping the open ended code

And the controversy about Nemov’s bars score that many say was significant in shaping the open ended code
So, we have him to blame for that.
Wasn't it more Hamm's AA though? Because he won with a fall and there was the judging controversy with the Korean's SV. But luckily then we changed to an open-ended code and everything was FINE.

The Romanians on bb those games were absurd. Every single routine, I think Sofronie BB AA was the only "miss" (one wobble, it's kind of depressing to write that that was a miss these days)
Especially after yesterday.

But hey, looks like we've got out very own Hamm v Yang Tae Young for the 2020s now, so there is that small consolation.

I rewatched the Athens TF during Covid lockdown. It felt so, so weird with the scoring. Yet it felt like home, because I knew that code so well. I do not miss bars under that code. Even good bar workers like Tweddle just looked awful

Athens 2004 was when I got into gymnastics.
I turned the TV on during the men's AA. I didn't even know what was going to be on.

Many people have asked me how I became a men's gymnastics fan.

This is the story (along with some bitching about the men's NCAA trying to back to the 10.0)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back