2024 MAG NCAA Week 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I have yet to go through all the numbers but...Stanford and Oklahoma scored 413.6 and 413.8 respectively.

Stanford's D score is 165 - about what they had to win the NCAA Championship this in 2023.
Oklahoma played a D score of 158.6. That should be good enough give them a good shot at in the top 3 at NCAAs as long as they keep it up.

Oklahoma is fired up after being ranked 4th in the CGA Coaches poll

The West Point Open brings back a lot of memories. A younger teammate of mine competed last weekend for Penn State and finished 5th AA.

One day I want to go to WPO. Just never have had the opportunity.
You definitely should! It's a really cool meet. The town of West Point is very pretty, and you're right on the Hudson river with lots of nice views and nature. The drive on storm king highway is quite beautiful on a snowy day.

They run a JO comp the same weekend which I competed in from '08 to '15. It usually draws top teams from regions 6/7 and the college meets which are free were well attended. The college event finals were run alongside the JO events the last year I competed. I think the format is still the same. It's a pretty cool experience to warm-up besides the college guys.

Yeah, it really is a lovely drive and I agree that West Point is a nice little town to visit. They long have had the regional judging course there every fall when the leaves were changing color, and I enjoyed the autumn drive as well.

@blake, I probably judged you many of those years! I think I judged floor at that meet a bunch of times. and maybe parallel bars one year?

My last visit was as a coach, though. Tough meet for the athlete, but still fun.

Yeah, it really is a lovely drive and I agree that West Point is a nice little town to visit. They long have had the regional judging course there every fall when the leaves were changing color, and I enjoyed the autumn drive as well.

@blake, I probably judged you many of those years! I think I judged floor at that meet a bunch of times. and maybe parallel bars one year?

My last visit was as a coach, though. Tough meet for the athlete, but still fun.
Wow! If it was floor, that's awesome. If it was p-bars, I apologize cause I sucked on that event lol

If both teams and both coaches don't want the head to head format and wish to use the traditional block/rotation format, why can't they?

Not like it actually causes any issues for everyone if both parties agreed.

Not like ESPN or ABC is calling to complain about the format change.

If both teams and both coaches don't want the head to head format and wish to use the traditional block/rotation format, why can't they?

Not like it actually causes any issues for everyone if both parties agreed.

Not like ESPN or ABC is calling to complain about the format change.
There was an interesting thought on that from an NCAA gymnast who said that the traditional format was an advantage for individuals. I am not a gymnast so I don't know but he that was his thought.

Also, I think the rules are there for a reason. If changes to the rules is allowed if both coaches agree, why even have rules?

The men's NCAA rules document clearly state:

All dual meet competition (in-person or virtual) must be conducted in the
head-to-head format.

I don't think anyone really knows if teams have an advantage if they don't follow this format, but that is the rule and it's not a level playing field if different teams follow whatever dual meet format they feel like having.

There are two issues - there is nothing said about the penalty for not following this rule, and people blew it off in the past with no consequences (that I know of).

Williams made this point in his email. In my opinion, everything else is commentary.

Just warn the involved parties and update the rules to state moving forward any dual meets not held head to head will be void. The purpose is supposedly to have head to head meets, not nullify scores.

Oklahoma will be OK, but it could mess up Air Force - as that team doesn't have many meets. It could alter who gets a full team to NCAAs, which is something I will check at the end of the season.

As for advantage, it was just the opinion of a current NCAA gymnast.

When was it done before? I know I have heard rumors, but no one has been able to tell me who/when. (I have suspicions, but cannot find anything in the schedules from the past 3 years that would tell me)

I saw it, I can't exactly remember when.

I read the opinion from Samuel Phillips about the formats. He does have a point. It could be different.
If it's even possible there are differences, it's not fair if not all teams follow the head to head rule.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back