Jordan Chiles' Commercial

I’ve just watched a commerical with Jordan Chiles. It’s for a company called bmc. Can someone explain how she can be doing gymnastics in a commercial and still be allowed to compete at college? Did she not get paid or is there a new rule with the NCAA? I thought you could get paid for you likeness but not for gymnastics. Can anyone clarify this for me please?

1 Like

She’s being paid for her face and name. Not for how good she does a BHS. Right?

Exactly. She is being paid to be in an advertisement not for doing gymnastics. She is not competing or doing a showcase. Any gymnastics she does in the commercial is incidental. She is clearly solidly within the rules.

2 Likes

The new rules that came into force this year allows college athletes to make money as long as it’s not related to doing your sport - as JaJa wrote she is not being paid for doing gymnastics

1 Like

Thank you all for the clarification. That makes more sense now.

2 Likes

Is Jordan’s mum still doing Bird?

I’m not familiar with that slang Doug but I think you must be asking about prison? Gina Chiles’ sentence was for a year, right? And the judge delayed her report date until after the Women’s competition.

That’s going to have at least two thirds of the forum googling ‘bird’.

Eta- cross post!

1 Like

Indeed. I was amongst the 2/3. It’s a British thing apparently. Never heard it myself.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/do-bird#:~:text=Definition%20of%20’do%20bird’&text=Someone%20who%20is%20doing%20bird%20is%20in%20prison.&text=They%20warned%20him%20that%20next,d%20find%20himself%20doing%20bird.

Since there are only two things Gina is known for, a pyramid scheme resulting in prison and Jordan, I figured Doug was referring to prison.

2 Likes

Impressive powers of deduction!